Which stain for old roof beams?

Steph1

Go to your local brico or builders merchants (or Castorama, Leroy Merlin) etc and look at the wood stains. They have stains for exterior and interior, but you can use exterior inside if you find one that you prefer.

I've used a wax tint on the bedroom beams (Luberon Black Bison and the beams are lovely) but downstairs I used Lasure V I think (it was cheaper than the Luberon). Anyway, there are so many colours to choose from on the chart and they come in satin or matt finish.

Thanks for the reply Zeb. I have been to quite a few bricos and can't find anything in matt. The wax tint, is the finish satin or matt?

Come on all you DIYers, what have you used on your old beams, I'm beginning to think I might have to go to England to buy matt stain.

Steph

We sanded our beams down then treated them xith the Xylophene stuff, then painted on a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turps - the linseed feeds the wood and darkens it in the process, leaving a very matt finish - it also brings the grain out a bit.

We also then waxed the beams in one room, and as we only did one coat, the beams still aren't glossy. I think if you put several coats of wax on, it doesn't soak in as much and starts to gloss a bit.

I have seen varnished beams in friends houses, but don't like the glossy finish.

Warren

Hi,

I've used Castorama own brand woodstain for our beams. This is the info on the tin 'Lasure satinée', colour 'chene rustique' (dark brown) for interior and exterior. It's a really quick drying one. In this warm whether it'll be dry within half an hour. I know it says satin but I would say it drys to a matt finish and I remember someone else saying the same about satin paints now I come to think of it. It's really cheap compared to most of the other brands and by far the best of all that we tried (and we did get through a few before we found this one!). If you want to send me your e-mail address I'll send you a photo of our beams if you like (mmm - interesting photo!).

Kind regards.

Flower