Water stains

tarnaddict

We have had a leak from a shower which has resulted in a brown water stain on the original plaster coving of the room below.  I seem to remember being told that if you paint over the stain it will merely return through the paint.  Is this true and if so can anyone advise how to overcome the problem?

Many thanks

You can purchase in the UK a product called Stain Stop.  It comes in aerosol and ordinary paint. As I am short I find the aerosol useful for small high places!  It does have a horrible strong chemical smell so make sure to ventilate well.

Failing that try a bit of gloss and then paint over with normal emulsion.  It is the "oil" in the paint which then stops the stain showing through the emulsion.  Otherwise it will keep coming through no matter how many layers of emulsion.

Good luck.

Oil based eggshell finish paint does the same job and is easy to cover with emulsion. As the previous post says, the oil based paints stop the stain seeping through as the cover coat dries. If you don't have some old paint hanging around then the "Stain stop" products are effective.

Oil based undercoat is the answer, also very good for obliterating nicotine stains!!! My pa-in-law smoked Woodbines for the best part of 50 years and when he stopped,after having a heart attack, I thought I'd try and cheer him up by re-decorating his lounge[not the first time in 50 years I may add ] It was a lovely shade of orange/brown, especially over his favourite armchair. A good roller coat of a decent quality white oil [ not acrylic ] based undercoat and then a couple of coats of brilliant white matt emulsion and now he sits there wearing sunglasses. The areosol spray "stainblock" is OK for small area's but too pricey and difficult to use for large areas.

Regards. B&B. St.Malo.