fosse types

tbod

I am confused!  In my cellar there are two interconnected concrete tanks.  The first is fed directly from the toilet via an internal pipe. The second tank has an outlet pipe which seems to go through the wall of the cellar into an open drain.  Rainwater and 'grey water' are also fed into this open drain via separate external down-pipes. There doesn't seem to be any way of emptying either of the tanks.  I have not seen a system like it anywhere else.  We were told, when we purchased the house, that a regular dose of Eparcyl would be all that is necessary to keep the system running.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of system I have - and whether it will need upgrading?  Unfortunately, we do not own any of the land adjacent to the house where a new fosse septique could be located - any upgrade would have to be cellar-based.  Advice please  !!! 

• 2 weeks later...
You could maybe try the pages jaune for "assainisement", now is that "assainissement" I can't quite remember? They give advice for septic tanks but for a fee. You'd need to find out how much they charge first before coming to look at your system. But do be careful as regulations have changed since Jan 2006 for septic tanks and the DDE regulations on them. I've read on here that people do often say to go to the Mairie first but perhaps you could ask your neighbours how their systems are set up first before contacting anyone in authority who may have to be in touch with the DDE as a Mairie or an "assainisement" person  may have to. A little direct approach for research with you neighbours may help you to then  look in the right direction for some solid sound advice from a suitably qualified person that you would be able to count on. Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply - clearly good advice.  However, before I go in search of professional advice, I would like to get a better idea of how my system works. Anyone out there with a similar system (see my original letter)?

[quote user="tbod"]Thanks for your reply - clearly good advice.  However, before I go in search of professional advice, I would like to get a better idea of how my system works. Anyone out there with a similar system (see my original letter)?[/quote]

You need to Google for "Fosse a toutes eaux" and "Fosse septique". Both need emptying after a while but the Fosse a toutes eaux less often due to the amount of water pushed through the system.

The Fosse septique is basically a large receptical that only takes the "eaux vannes" from you WC.

The Fosse a toutes eaux takes all waters including rain water and converts that into disposable fluids that are released into a soakaway.

I am not a sewage expert but because of having to connect my house to the main sewers have trawled through loads of web pages that explain all about it Fosses.

Where there's muck there's money

That's right, our rain-downpipes are just directed into the grass, but what if it really pours for days? These two areas will get flooded?  (We will want waterbuts, but these will just fill and overflow). What could we do?

tbod

Sounds like you have a standard fosse septique in your cellar. Solids arrive in the first chamber where they are subject to anaerobic digestion (this is where the Eparcyl works to maintain the process or restart it after emptying).  The second chamber contains the resultant clear liquids which are then expelled to the outside drain.

You can read all about it [url=http://www.oieau.fr/ReFEA/fiches/FossesSeptiques/1FSpresGen9.htm] HERE [/url]