Fosse proximity

rog

Rog

I believe it is 6m maximum from house for fosse, no limit for drainage system (that waswhat I was told - we wanted it much further away). I guess minimum distance depends upon how much of a risk you want to take with digging close to your foundations.

Warren

Thanks for that Warren......my problem is that I am helping someone convert an outbuilding to a Gite. Within this unit (it was a cow byre) there is a concrete floor with a slurry channel leading to a holding tank (some 18 cu metres) which is below a concrete floor of the proposed Kitchen.Channel and tank are comparitively modern but I am advising my friend to try and tap-in to the new fosse system already connected to the main house (only about 6 metres away.) I have deep reservations in having a fosse below a kitchen floor, however well shielded it is and if there is a regulation vis-a-vis close proximity then it would scotch that idea once and for all.If it is allowable then I will have to resort to plan 'b'.........I'm thinking on plan 'b' as we speak.

Rog

Rog

Not sure I'd like a fosse below my kitchen either, but I couldn't tell you if it permitted.

The other thing to consider is the size of the existing fosse if you connect to that. I believe a 3000 litre fosse should serve a 4/5 bed house. Adding the gite on may overload the existing system.

I also believ that if it was ever decided to sell the gite separately from the main house, a separate fosse would have to be installed anyway, as I don't think two separate properties are supposed to share a fosse.

Just a couple of thoughts, sorry I can't help more. Maybe ask someone at the DDE?

Warren

hi

ok there is no min distance... there is a max distance of 7 mtres but if you fit a degreaser between the tank and the house you can extend this ,,, "in basic terms " a 3000ltr tank is only for a 3 bed house 4000ltr for a 4 and so on plus you need to extend the drainage system to cope for the extra sized tank.

just a quickie if you  need more feel free to pm me

have a look here at a basic 3000lt system with a 6mt x 4 mt sand filter to suit

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=0

dave