Tradesmen sought

Chief

Ian, whereabout are you located? As you said, it is probably the area, because there are many more properties for sale around here (Dordogne) then there was when I was looking a little over two years ago. In fact it took me almost two years to find our place. By the way, I am not complaining because we are very happy, particularly with the location.  However, if we were looking now it at least appears on the surface with all of the choice it would be a walk in the park.[:)]

Regarding Chief, I don't blame him either. I know that this is a big worry if you are thinking of taking on a renovation so it doesn't hurt and who knows he may get dozens to reply with the necessary info.[:D] Good luck to him.

[quote user="WJT"]

Ian, whereabout are you located? As you said, it is probably the area, because there are many more properties for sale around here (Dordogne) then there was when I was looking a little over two years ago. In fact it took me almost two years to find our place. By the way, I am not complaining because we are very happy, particularly with the location.

[/quote]

Sarthe  Seems to be quite active (though I have nothing to do with property, just going from what others have told me).  Decent low cost flights, not too far from a decent choice of ferry ports, sensible property prices (at the moment), etc.  When I moved here 3 years ago I was the only Brit in either commune I live in.  I bumped into the mayor earlier this year and apparently there are several now. No doubt the trend will continue (and despite him having told me where they live, I've not been round to say hello to any of them !!).

Ian

We have friends in Sarthe. They bought a very beautiful place that was already renovated just prior to us buying here. They love it!

I have to admit that I have been a bit envious of them because they moved straight into a beautiful 15th century manor house and didn't need to do any work. The only thing they decided to do was fill in a very large swimming pool.[:-))]. They didn't realise it needed work when they bought the place and it turned out that to repair it would cost about as much as a new pool, albeit smaller.

I have only visited once but looks a lovely area, as I said our friends love it there.

It's been a while since we've been in France and I haven't seen the lovely chap for some time now.

Progress.

We did get a revised devis for the TILED roof and another devis from a local firm doing "zinguerie". Coincidently, I'm off to post both of them off to France today and will chase up both contractors when we return next week. Don't suppose anything will happen now until spring.The village does a little Nov 11th ceremony with a few drinkies after - we plan to be there then.