Where to Begin

We have a dream to move to France but where to begin? We have been looking at IFP (internet french propety) web site but not a lot comes in via their email.

We do love the sea but don't want to be to close to the seaside as it's expensive. Love walking and a sense of space but don't want a very large property only say 100 to 120 sq m but needs to have parking for a 7m camping car. Plus we don't do renovation as we are two retired ladies. What are good ares to explore please, not North as it will ? be too cold :) Did think of Southern Brittany but might have too many of us Brits. Would like somewhere perhaps at edge of village and have things to do e.g like walking area, somewhere we could learn the language and of course go for a nice meal or two :)

Thanks in advance.

I think the best way to start is to come over and spend at least a week driving around your chosen area, or longer if still not decided on an area. Look in the windows of the french estate agents in the main towns when you find the areas you like. Pat. 

hi

ok ...........just a quote from your post ..... " please, not North as it will ? be too cold :)   we live in deux-sevres 2 nd sunniest place in France long hot summers , text book spring and fall ..............sounds too good to be true , I have sat outside drinking coffe 1st january next day it can be like this.....

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0004-2.jpg[/IMG]

dave

you want to come for a visit try here

[quote user="Patf"]I think the best way to start is to come over and spend at least a week driving around your chosen area, or longer if still not decided on an area. Look in the windows of the french estate agents in the main towns when you find the areas you like. Pat. [/quote]

I agree - you need to visit the areas and see some of the properties - photos in estate agents windows / websites can be very misleading.  Also - don't just visit in the summer - make several trips at different times of the year.  As Dave implied, the south can be very cold in winter (-10C for us the last two winters - makes for very beautiful hoar frosts but derned cold!!!)

Kathie

Thanks Athene,

We have considered that but have noticed in a post that there can be issues with builders (arriving, start date, not doing as per contract etc) would hate to get in a pickle but on the other hand we can live in our camping car whilst the house is built (travelling around as I know we wouldn't be able to live on site). Still it is an option.