french elections

There is a great deal of info out there and I suggest you watch the local TV, listen to the radio and read the national papers which give daily reports on the contenders. Some British newspapers too are keeping tabs on the elections and they are very shortly.

[quote user="woody"]does anyone know when the new french prime minister is going to be elected[/quote]

It's not the Prime Minister, it's the President.  Look at any newspaper online and you will find 'news' on the subject.  For one in English look [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=M0ZLVOUPBUXBNQFIQMGSFFOAVCBQWIV0?xml=%2Fnews/exclusions/frenchelections2007/nosplit/frenchelections2007.xml&_requestid=184236]here[/url]

The first 'round' is on the 22nd April, if no-one gets more than 50% of the votes it goes to a second round on the 6th June with the two candidates who received the most votes in the 1st round.

[quote user="woody"]does anyone know when the new french prime minister is going to be elected, and will they change the country much, i think theres sarkozy and the women from the charente are in the running for it [/quote]

Why can't I shake this feeling that there is some trollicking coming on?

[quote user="woody"]does anyone know when the new french prime minister is going to be elected, and will they change the country much, i think theres sarkozy and the women from the charente are in the running for it [/quote]

Judging by the timing of your post, one minute into 2 April, I figure you were two minutes late in posting.

But its a cute post.

My prediction.  First round:  Sarkozy 25%  Royal 24%  Bayrou15%  Le Pen 15%, sadly, the rest not much at all.

Second Round:  Royal 52%  Sarkozy 48%

OK, I admit that its wishful thinking.  A France governed (so far as the President governs) by Sarkozy is my idea of a five year minor bad dream.  And there is no way the French will elect a WOMAN.  Although they will never admit it is because she is a woman.  Sexism or chauvinism is impossible in the Republique, where all French people are treated equally, by definition.

Suze , Thanks for the link, I was out to lunch last week with some people wo had very opposing views which made for an interesting lunch but I still didn't feel that I would really be able to make an informed choice if I had to, so a bit more knowledge helps[;-)]

TV, on Tf1's website they did a reader's poll and these were the results which differ from your prediction and would put Sarko and Bayrou in the second round, and who would win then?:

Si l'élection avait lieu dimanche prochain, vous voteriez au 1er tour pour : (expire le 25 Avril 2007)
Bayrou 28.4 %
Besancenot 1.8 %
Bové 1.5 %
Buffet 1.2 %
Laguiller 0.5 %
Le Pen 9.7 %
Nihous 0.7 %
Royal 18.8 %
Sarkozy 34.4 %
Schivardi 1.1 %
Villiers 1.3 %
Voynet 0.6 %
Nombre de votants : 38199

Well, first of all, this just proves that your average TV1 punter knows nothing about what is actually happening, although I will apologise to "the people" if they get it anywhere near right.

Secondly, the idea that the choice of the French people will reduce to two rightwingers AGAIN is too horrible to contemplate, so I won't.  I believe in the French, I love them, they just can't do it to us again.

Thirdly, every poll says Bayrou would win in a shootout with either Sego or Sarko.  But then every poll does NOT hint that Sarkozy will gain huge amounts, Sego will lose huge amounts and Bayrou will suddenly gain huge amounts.  So maybe the polls are completely out of whack.  But "opinion has two elements, one taht never changes, and one that can change liek the wind direction.  Problem is that no one knows what the proportions are.  And this year the vote is more fragile and changeable than for many years, everyone agrees.

Fourthly, Bayrou is clearly the "most popular".  But he has no party (29 deputies out of 577), and could not possibly win enough seats in the legislatives in June to govern on his own.  So at least his winning would allow us to play the "coaltion game" in France for five years.  See what it would be like here.  Somehow I don't think it would be much fun.  As the Big Two say, "Look at Italy".

Fifthly, I also find it hard to believe that suddenly Le Pen will lose a fair bit, as "everyone says" his real vote is underestimated by the polls, not overestimated.

But just answering your question directly, welcome to the world of President Bayrou.

I should add that I am following the elections really closely this year, partly to learn about the French system.  So don't get the idea I am connected to the events in Paris or know all that much.

Questions:

When do or did the elections start?

Why have there been no adverts on the telly?

What is a suppliant?

Why did Bove have such a hard time getting signatures?

Why do the French allow such losers (the little people) to even be in the elections?

Why do they all seem to agree that there is some kind of problem with immigration and French identity?

Will the French ever be able to stomach a woman as President?

[quote user="WJT"]OMG! This from the link that Suze provided from the Telegraph, I find it hard to believe that French Muslims are now voting for Le Pen. [blink][/quote]

Remember, there are old Muslims and young Muslims.  Old Muslims think the young people are out of control and need some manners.  Like Old Folks everywhere.  And also remember that not everyone in the high rises is brown or black.  People like the Daily Telegraph forget that.  Many folks in the banlieu are just plain folks who want peace and quiet, and the kids are a drag, making noise and trouble. 

But in general, I do share your amazement.  but then working class people have often voted conservative, when its not in "their interest".  People are really compmlicated and funny and not always "rational and logical".  Don't you just love them?