Finding the Fosse

David

I need to find out where my fosse entranche is situated. We have an old school house in the gironde, and have never been able to get any info from the previous owner. Would the marie be likly to hold any plans which would identify the position of the fosse?Has anyone any other ideas?

No the Marie is not likely to know. Start with the WCs and work out  where they leave the house, the go tracing the pipes. Then try and work out the likely fall remembering the gold rule "S**t doing not flow up hill. You may well find small concrete squares covering points where pipes join.

Unless you cannot use the toilets I would wait till a dry patch in the Spring when the greener areas will indicate the drains form the fosse are. I know it is meant to be a cess pit but for the most part the liquids drain off.

If the WCs are in use and the pipes are not very deep the snow will melt earlier over them.

I have now run out of ideas. Sounds like an interesting project. 

Without wishing to be gloomy, my best friend, who has a lovely renovated farmhouse 35 minutes from us had fosse problems..............

All the neighbours came round: they all knew the house, allegedly.

After consulting experts, blokes with metal detectors, another UK chum who was a building inspector and assorted bods, the conclusion was, under the terrace: which is all nicely tiled with old red exterior tiles!

He is now the proud owner of a sparkling new fosse septique ; they left the old one there and simply cemented up the stink pipes and feeds.

On a more positive note, your best bet is a local who knows which farmer or whoever emptied it for the previous owner.

We had the same problem, but our builder and a guy at the Marie walked the site and found it with the hour there were no plans but after a few questions they had a good idea, Chances are that its been installed in the last 30 years (hopefully newer) and there might be someone in the village who saw the work being done to point you in the right direction, The thing that surprised us was how close it was to the house and I second all the advice given by Anton

hi david .its the old where is my fosse question again .im still looking for ours !not really! i have taken good advice from this forum" if it works ok leave it alone" .i did notice in the summer whilst cutting the grass that some areas of grass seemed greener and looked as though pipes had been laid running down the slope .i am certain that the tank has been installed very close to the house and i am now the proud owner of some subsidence .never mind, the fosse or whatever i have works so i will stop digging about .just in case i find something nasty!