Solid hardwood flooring questions.

Ford Anglia

Hello all you experts, I have a few questions about hardwood flooring. On my next visit, I'll be mostly laying about 75 sq m of chestnut T&G flooring, which we already have, and have had for about three years!

I intend doing it using one of those nailers, the "hit it as many times as you like and it still sinks the nail etc" type.[:D]

So, on to the questions.

Screwfix do one made by Primatech. Is this OK? Anyone used one?

How many nails will I need for 75 sq m if each board is about 60mm wide, and ranges in length from over a metre to 30cm? The beams are at standard 250mm gaps, so about 300mm centres.

Should I use "T" nails or "L" nails?

And finally, what length nails? They are going into new beams. They seem to come in 38mm, 45mm and 50mm.

Thanks for any help or advice.

No idea, but having seen it done and priced it out (with a standard floor in the UK) it seems pretty competitive with laminate floors and a MUCH better product. When I need to replace laminate floors I think I will just replace the boards and varnish. I think that over 2 floors the nailer pays for itself, as well.

Talking of flooring, I am considering using bamboo, when I convert Le Grenier.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Seems incredibly hardwearing, comes pre-finished and apparently a 25 year expected life.

Mainly 15 m.m. thick: I can import a quantity direct from the USA (which very strangely is far cheaper than importing from China!!): and I will need "A quantity"!

Sheldonrobbo (can I just call you Sheldon?) - the OP is talking about a 45 degree hammer nailer for pinning through the tongue of t&g - not a Paslode  or similar, unless they make a 45 degree model. Have a look at the link I posted above. Primatech make the nails, the nailer is, I think, a generic Screwfix job, but still not cheap at £200. You whack it with a mallet.

hi dick

both paslode and dewalt make angle nailers as well as right angle ones ......i now know from your description what the primatech one is ...used to use a similar one years ago ....can be a bit time consuming and not all that cheap at that price ...would tend to go with the dewalt meself .....you can always sell it on after you've finished with it as they hold there value.......but they also have so many uses i'll lay odds you won't want to part with it

p.s. sheldons fine by the way