Pumps for the fosse

westland

I was interested to read Clair's posting as it is the first time that I have seen anything on the forum related to having a fosse pump installed.  I wonder if you could tell me Clair what the switches are that you have on your panel.  We too have had to have a pump fitted to take the waste waters up to the fosse, however we just have a plastic tank where the pump is sited and the wiring and plug have been brought underground and come up into the bathroom to be plugged in behind the WC.

As the extension isn't finished we haven't tried it yet but we are already a bit concerned as last week saw us without electricity for three days.  Another thought now is that we also have no way of knowing if the thing is not working.  Anyone else with a similar fosse pump out there?

All I can think is that we just don't let any water drain away in the event of a power cut which is OK for a few hours, but a few days?

We have had one on our installation since it was built, reason being that the drainage field is SLIGHTLY above the level of the fosse tank. (About a metre higher).

The pump sits IN the fosse, or just above the liquid level, and triggers when the level rises to a certain amount, pumping the almost finished product up to the drainage area. You can hear it working occasionally. According to the man who fitted mine, they don't go wrong[blink], and are virtually maintenance-free.

It has it's own RCD and circuit breaker, situated on an internal barn wall, fed from the main tableau.

I did post on this many many moons ago, but cannot find the thread now...

The septic tank is located about 14m higher than the pump, which is situated in a cellar, and the travel distance between the two is about 50m.

We have a Micro 7 as shown on this page: www.flygt.co.uk

The pump itself is housed inside a 250l tank. The tank fills up (sinks, baths, showers, WCs) and the pump starts when the floater reaches a certain height.

The pump is wired to a control panel like the one shown at the bottom of this page: www.flygt.co.uk, which has an on/off switch, a circuit breaker and various control lights which enable us to see at a glance if the pump is ready or not. The panel itself is then wired to the the fuse board.

Thanks for the replies.  It would seem that we must have a very basic version.  However it is useful to read that you both have circuit breakers which is something that I must ask the electrician about (if I can get my head round exactly what is needed) when he comes to run all the new wiring into the main box, could be that he has it in hand.  Looks like just plugging it into a standard socket isn't really safe enough.  Thanks for the website address Clair.