Argeles and surrounding area

Hi,

Does anyone live any where near Argeles sur Mer?  if so can you tell me how much it's changed in the last 5 years or so.

Used to have a "mobile home" at Argeles and loved the area very much.

Would like to sell up in the UK and move over to France but I've got to convince the OH it's the right thing to do.

Argelès-sur-mer

The main event here in six years has been the opening of Carrefour in 2006! Not a lot else has changed except property prices. As I have written elsewhere prices were artifically low in 2001/2002 when you could buy a two-room beachside apartment for the equivalent of 25,000 euros - these are now 75,000 - 80,000. The Independant newspaper did a survey of house prices in Argelès earlier this week and quoted a figure of 2,762 euros per square metre as the average, but lower for older apartments and villas, the latter depending also on the size of the garden. There are some interesting new-builds going up (around 300 new apartments or pavillons currently over six different sites), also in St Cyprien (some not very attractive) and Collioure (priced at 6,000 per square metre, a record!). Inland along the Albères prices have risen but the property market has slowed down so you should shop around - but as you know away from the coast the villages can be very quiet.

There is still a marked difference between summer and winter, with a very short but busy season, but tourism peaked in 2004 and has dropped off a bit since. It also seems to be extending a bit from, say, May to September so there is a bit of life but not overwhelming like the mad 6 weeks of summer!

Hope this helps,

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC

We usually go to Argeles during the Off peak times. There has been a lot of building going on over the past 4 years or so,which appear to be holiday flats and complexes. The seafront walk from the port heading towards St Cyprien had a makeover last year and as far as I can see nothing dramatic has happened .The youngermembers of the family like it for the clean beach whist us oldies love to wander around the port looking at the Yachts.

Thank you, both for your replies, hopefully, should be coming down to Argeles in the summer (really miss it and the people) used to love the orange tree just as you come out of the car park by the train station and "Chez Max" at St Andre.

The first place i stayed in France was a little campsite at Canet Plage, it had a huge effect on my life, used to love walking the length of the beach from the port right the way up and back.

St Cyp was beautiful, the whole area, the view of the Pyrenees, we even drove up to Andorra a few times (what a trek, what a road!)

Really looking forward to coming back to look around  Can still remember apartments for sale at Canet Plage for £ 11,000