Tools

Marym2

Hi

As most of my tools were stolen last year, I am now looking for replacements. As I bought a lot from England I have now the dilemma of where to buy, as the insurance has so far not paid up. Do I buy again in London or would it be cheaper to buy in France, and if so where. For instance I am looking at the Hitachi Impact Drill Driver, cost at home £200-50 would I get it for less in France ? I welcome any suggestions

Pro vs amateur, Bricolage vs trade shop, who knows, all depends on the deals that are available.  Unfortunately, you need to check each item and make a decision from there.  Lots of info from the UK via the web, not too many French sites selling tools (or maybe its because I've not found them yet?), For what its worth, I've just spent  £500 at Machine Mart on a VAT free day.  I thought it was a good deal and better than any I could find in France.  Be aware, any electrical item you buy in the UK will need the plug changing, no big deal,  but it adds 5€ ish to the cost and will probably void the warranty.  Also, I find Facom tools (very good quality) are reasonably priced in France compared to the UK

I think that Facom owns Britool now, another famous UK name lost.  Great fun with students in the colleges with the Facom name.........................[:D]

I've found Leroy Merlin have a decent range of quality tools. They do the cheapo ones as well and most of their still is the "non-Pro" ranges but they do some decent makes (e.g. Matika [sic]). Same with non-powered tools. When I purchased my new decent drill in Leroy Merlin last year I got home and checked the Axminster catalogue. Axminster sold the exact same model at very close to the same price.

Most of the other Brico's I've looked in seem to do cheapo brands (Black & Deker, Ryobi, etc.).

One aspect to UK power tools is that some might (mostly rechargeable ones) have "plug-top" power adaptors so you will need to make up an adaptor rather than just change the plug.

Ian

Hi

Regarding plugs, as I will now only bring them over once I have,  purchased them, (either from england//france) I will use an extenstion lead for recharging etc.What I use to do before is have a english extenstion lead and a french one but with both different plugs on them so I do not have to bother changing plugs, although they took all our electrical stuff as well, so that will have to be renewed.

As PCWhizz says, you're unlikely to get as good a deal in France as you can every day in MachineMart or Screwfix in the UK.  So if you've got a load of kit to buy it may pay to buy from one of these - why not check out their websites and compare with Castorama, for instance.  There are bound to be a few items in common.

Each plug's only a couple of euros if you decide to change them (though I, too, use an adapted extension lead for some of my stuff).

hi

ok like you  I had most of my tools Nicked here in France, donnot expect what they are worth from your insurance, unless you have all the receipts !!!

Ok so that said some tools are cheaper here compressors , sdi drills are just a few , but top quality stuff  is expensive.

try here if you are in the uk, http://www.axminster.co.uk/ .   they do also deliver to france but it`s expensive

also take a good look a B&Q`s pro range  e.g    I had a Makita jig saw  £195 jobbie    the same saw badged b&q pro was £39.99 I cannot tell the difference.

another Uk store is http://www.rutlands.co.uk/  they seem to have a bit of a price war with axminster so compare like for like before you comit ...

hope this helps

dave 

ps some of my work is here  http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=20  all hand built

[quote user="DaveandOlive"]

also take a good look a B&Q`s pro range  e.g    I had a Makita jig saw  £195 jobbie    the same saw badged b&q pro was £39.99 I cannot tell the difference.

[/quote]

Wow!  That's a good tip.  I'll definitely have a look at B&Q next time we're over.  God knows when that'll be - hope I don't forget in the meantime. [:)]