Hardwood floor in a bathroom

Dennisj

I am in the process of converting part of an old attic space and will be creating a bathroom, the existing floor is of narrow hardwood parquet, wasted in the attic and too good to cover up now.

Does anybody know if there is a treatment that can be given to the wood to enable it to be visible and yet functional/water stain free in a bathroom environment.

Fingers crossed,

Dennisj

Thanks all, the only doubt is that as I remember varnish was with a high gloss as in yacht varnish, I would prefer something less shiny, I suppose if i was to liken it to paint then I would be looking for a satin finish!

Many thanks,

dennisj

Dennis, varnish comes in all types - shiny and matt and in between. That is probably the most functional finish for a bathroom. Nice and easy to keep clean and the wood stays looking good for ages and ages. Get a good quality make - you only want to do it once (as many coats as you can face, though)

Danny

I would like to lay a hardwood floor in our bathroom when we refurbish it.

In a previous house in the Uk we had oak floors and I used a two part varnish made by Clarkes to seal them. It was very hard wearing and non slip but I dont know if it is still possible to get it.

Does anyone know of it or any similar product preferably obtainable in France?

cheminot

Not to be too blunt, but if you are going to have a toilet in the room, remember that urine is an effective bleach - the Romans, amongst others, washed their clothes in it for that colgate white[:)] - and that the floor should be monitored for staining, such as white spots.

This will obviously depend on the final product.