Book on renovating barn in france

jezrourke

can anyone suggest a good book to help me with a renovation project in france. im looking to buy a house with a barn that is in good condition and was thinking if there are any books out there that can help with planning , costings , detailing works etc etc , step by step guides etc

We are in the process of renovating a barn and have bought 'How to Renovate a House in France' by David Ackers, Jerome Aumont, and Paul Carslake. we also bought 'Concese Dictionary of House Building terms' by Hadley Pager.  We find both of these very usefull, hope you do.

Mark

Repeat posting form two years ago but have not found anything better 

"Construire ou Renover sa Maison" - Published by Editions Denoel - ISBN 2-207-2562-0. Available from the book section of the Hypermarkets. - In French but so full of illustrations it is almost a Cartoon Strip. Better than some dictionaries for find the right word.

"The Housebuilders Bible" - Mark Brinkley -Rodelia Litd - ISBN 0-9524852-4-9  - Completely UK orientated but full of time estimates for jobs, cost comparisons and general information. Worth a read while you are planning in the UK

"How to Renovate a House in France" - Ackers,Aumont and Carslake - Ascent Publishing - ISBN 0954669-3-4 Attractive coffee table book. but not enough hands on for my taste.

"Dictionary of Building & Civil Engineering" / "Dictionaire du Batiment et Du Genie Civil - Don Montague - E & FN Spon - ISBN 0 419 19910 1 -- Generally useful but some interesting phrases which I have not met
'Air de appoint' = 'Make Up Air' and lists
'Wing Screw' = 'vis a ailettes' ( screw for wing of house ?) but
'Nut,Wing' = 'ecrou papillon/a ourieles' was also there  C

Current version is more expensive and also covers German

"Bricolage" Christian Pessey - La Maison Rustique ISBN 2-7066-0646-0
Too much text unless fluent in French but useful hands on illustrations

I would avoid any book which began like in English and then was translated into French. Howlers from the past include Hachete who translated a Dorland Kindersley DIY book but kept the illustrations the same resulting in Ring Mains and plugs with square pins. One of the big DIY encyclopedias - not sure if it is Readers Digest currently on sale in France shows loop in ceiling roses.

I picked up "Le Grand Guide" 580 pages of Techniques,Produits Conceils pour construire renover et amenager from Leroy Merlin today. Free and worth every cent. Answers loads of the questions which have been posed on this forum in recent months like depths and separation of pipes and colours for warning mesh.

Also free from any of the ‘Tout Faire Materiux Franchises “Guide des Materiaux”