building quote

mark and sue

Hi

The quote seems a bit high to me. What does the job entail. If you are having a wall demolished how thick is it, and what sort of finish are they applying. We live over the border in 58 and we wouldn't dream of paying as much as that. We have had a major renovation by registered artisans and the price just doesn't compare. Who is doing the work?

Redcap

[quote user="mark and sue 71"]

hi i've been quoted €4000 to have an rsj fitted to open up the living room the size of the gap will be about the size of a double garage door.

is this as expensive as it seems????

[/quote]

Have you thought of getting another quote or 2?

And as for kangaroo courts....

[quote user="Tomacher"]Way too much - who's given you that price ?
PM me off group as I'm compiling a long, long list
of  'sharks' who try to 'rip off' Brit's - bet it's a fellow Brit though !!!
[/quote]

No-one is trying to "rip off"anyone. If you don't like the price don't have the work done - or is that theory too far advanced for you ?

John

not

I hope that I never get put on a list of sharks because of a 1 1/2 line description of work that I have quoted for.[blink].I hope the compiler of this list is qualified to check this type of work,does so,and also understands the costs of working as an artisan in france.When I went on the course to register,75% of us were considering returning to the uk as we couldn't see how we could make money with the taxes,insurances and social charges that were to be paid.I can't say whether this price is high or low,just to repeat what has already been said.Get some more quotes.Good luck in your hunt for good work at a good price[:)]

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="Tomacher"]Way too much - who's given you that price ?

PM me off group as I'm compiling a long, long list

of  'sharks' who try to 'rip off' Brit's - bet it's a fellow Brit though !!!

[/quote]

No-one is trying to "rip off"anyone. If you don't like the price don't have the work done - or is that theory too far advanced for you ?

John

not

[/quote]

How do you know that !!

As for your 'slur' 'or is the theory too far advanced for you' you need to 'retard you ignition a bit' !!

[quote user="pogo"]I hope that I never get put on a list of sharks because of a 1 1/2 line description of work that I have quoted for.[blink].I hope the compiler of this list is qualified to check this type of work,does so,and also understands the costs of working as an artisan in france.When I went on the course to register,75% of us were considering returning to the uk as we couldn't see how we could make money with the taxes,insurances and social charges that were to be paid.I can't say whether this price is high or low,just to repeat what has already been said.Get some more quotes.Good luck in your hunt for good work at a good price[:)]

[/quote]

Ah thought it would be easier in France did you !!

You need to have 'made it' in the UK and then retired to France

if you want the 'good life' !!

Surely it would only be a ripoff if the customer accepted the quotation? A case of caveat emptor.

Several builders that I know freely admit to putting in high estimates when they are too busy to do the work. Doesn't make them crooks.

And if you publish a list of 'ripoff builders' without extremely good evidence (more than a 1 1/2 line forum message) you had better have very deep pockets or a close relative who is a defence lawyer...

Well i'd say it was hard to comment if it was expensive or not!! It very much depends on:

1 How thick the wall was.

2 What the wall was built out of, brick or stone.

3 Loadings on the masonry above the opening, roof or floor, padstones to be cast. the beam sections and exact spans.

4 Is the wall internal or external. If external, the extent of making good masonry.

5 The extent of any finishing, making good plaster work, skirting boards, flooring, decoration.

6 Any pipework or electrical alterations.

7 Is the debris being removed from site.

8 Ease of access to the site.

9 Extent of preperation required, moving furniture, carpets, sheeting up.

So that figure could be a realistic quote or could be expensive,  and as for a rip off!!!!!!

Stewart.

Not being a builder I cannot comment on the price. However, I would think there are loads of variables and risks. for example, if the floors are tiled then demolishing the wall may risk cracking the tiles and this more repair work, etc. I could see situations where I would think the quote reasonable and others where it would be excessive. People talk about the risks of adding windows (i.e. the entire wall collapsing) and I would imaging, depending on the property, there would be further risks with the IPM. Also, how many trades are involved. Architect/engineer to specify the beam ?, decorator to help "make good", tiler to repair/"make good" floors, etc.

Ian