Exposed beams

Nick

Hi

We are having our grenier converted into bedrooms and have good oak beams which will be left exposed. The attic has been empty for decades, so the beams are not showing themselves in their best light.

What should be applied to the beams (if anything) to bring back a natural look?  I don't want to stain them and I've heard linseed oil could be used, but does slightly discolour.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

ive often seen them sand blasted to get them back to their original state youll have to ask someone else what to treat them with bu tthe sandblasting brings them up nice wouldnt mind hiring a sandblaster myself in the future to clean up some oak beams  aswell

If they are oak, I would leave them as they are once cleaned (unless of course they are infested with something!)  Life seems to give them there colour, not anything thing that is deliberately applied.  We have a new oak staircase and I have been humming and hah-ing as to how to blend it in with the 150-y-o beams around it myself.  I have been contemplating a home-made mix of soot and nicotine!!!  I would be very interested to know what other people have done.

[quote user="cooperlola"]  We have a new oak staircase and I have been humming and hah-ing as to how to blend it in with the 150-y-o beams around it myself.  I have been contemplating a home-made mix of soot and nicotine!!!  I would be very interested to know what other people have done.[/quote]

I made our oak staircase myself and had a similar contemplation. However, it had to be installed so we could get up and down the stairs to finish off - the plumbers, masons, plasterer etc are doing a great job at ageing them - they look like they have been there years now!