Crepi

KathyC

I wonder if anyone could give me a non technical answer to the question of how crepi is different from artex? (Apart from the fact that you can get outdoor crepi). I've got an outhouse in the UK that needs something rough and diy on the walls and I was wondering whether it'd be worth bringing some back next time we're over. Any thoughts?

I'm sure someone will say that technically it's wrong but I've crepi'd a huge outbuilding with good results and it's still on the wall after 2 years, it's cheap and in my opinion does the job.  It's not fun to apply though, takes a bit of getting used to!

Sorry if this does not directly apply to the OP's actual question but I do think it's a worthwhile point for anybody reading a topic called simply "Crepi" 

This maybe just a rumour but I remember hearing somewhere that in France, outbuildings left "unfinished" attracted a lower rate of taxation then finished/Crepi'd ones. This is perhaps borne out by the number of rough outbuildings you see when there seems to be no logical reason for them being left like that,  but then again, maybe it's just that the French can be a bit, shall we say "careful", when it comes to such matters............[Www] 

We have such a structure, left in bare concrete block, and our Notaire seemed to make a point of referring to it in the sale documents as a Hangar rather than a Barn.

Because the front of the "Hangar" is the first thing you see as you approach our house I would like to at least Crepi that to match the house but I wouldn't particularly want to put my tax bill up as a result. In needs looking into I think.

Maybe someone else knows a bit more about it ?

No-but you would need the apropriate planning which the French absolutely love.My friend had to apply just to replace lumps of crepi which had fallen off his gable end-and to be done by a local "artisan"!Alors,donc,mais oui!   Maude