structural engineer

takaerao

We are looking for a structural engineer in the Ax les Thermes, ariege area, we are contemplating a house, but there are a few cracks and possibly chimney problem, but they keep suggesting that we get a roofer or an architect.  We are used to getting a structural engineer to check such faults.  Can anyone recommend a thorough engineer and what is the going rate for a structural report?  Thanking you all for your help as always.

But I thought that that Metier did not exist (or at least was not recognised) in France.

Thats what a "Brit bloke on the ferry" told me when I asked him how he managed to register to work as a surveyor (in France) despite by his own admission not having had any training, qualifications or experience other than having owned two or three houses in the past.

He said that as the profession did not exist in France he had been advised that he didn't need any qualifications to carry out the trade.

He hitched a lift across the channel from me as his old van had finally expired on the autoroute just short of Boulogne, I have his business card somewhere but I somehow don't feel confident to recommend him to the OP!

If what he was telling me was true.

I think he was just a down on his luck, recently divorced, bitter, etc chancer working on the black for anyone gullible enough. He didn't even speak French although for "green" newcomers that may have been to his advantage

However I think there may have been some truth in what he said

[:)]In the absence of your english preference for a surveyor, you could do what the locals suggested we did and get a local large building company for an opinion and even better a devi for rectifying the problems; this could also help you in your negotiation.
We were lucky and were recommended to an english speaking French builder (who assured us that the problem was not serious) gave us a fixed price devi and after we had bought the house carried out the work.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of recycling it.  
But trust me on the sunscreen[8-|]