Final contract

I understand that  there is meant to be a month between receipt of final contract and the official signing at the notaire's office. This time being necessary for reading/understanding the document and maybe seeking help from a qualified person who can read it for legal matters and for a translation.We have not yet received our contract from the notaire, and are meant to be signing towards the end of the month for our new-build apartment, when we are to fly out.

Can anyone confirm that a month is a legal requirement.

We are told that the notaire can speak English and will translate parts of the document. However, I am now wondering if we should have paid out £lots and lots for the services

Is there anything else we should be aware of concerning the final contract that anyone can think of?

Thanks a lot, Jo 

[quote user="Gardengirl"]

[/quote]

I have no knowledge of any legal time scale. It might be different for a new-build apartment but it's not at all unusual to not see a copy of the Acte de Vente until the day of signing. If you want it checked before then you (or your English-speaking lawyer if you are using one of your own) can always request a preliminary copy.

[quote user="Gardengirl"]

I understand that  there is meant to be a month between receipt of final contract and the official signing at the notaire's office. This time being necessary for reading/understanding the document and maybe seeking help from a qualified person who can read it for legal matters and for a translation.We have not yet received our contract from the notaire, and are meant to be signing towards the end of the month for our new-build apartment, when we are to fly out.

[/quote]

As Will says, unless it is different for new builds (I don't think it is) then no, it is not a requirement.

The Notaire has a legal duty to ensure that you understand the contract. If he doesn't speak English, or you don't speak French, then he might chose to use an interperator.

We received our contract in French onThursday, and will be signing it

next Friday. The notaire has sent a copy to be translated and there

will be an interpreter there at the signing.

So we will only have had 8 days to look it over- no idea when we'll get the copy in English though!

Hope that is of use??

Thanks Sue!!!

We just need to wait 6 weeks for the vendors to move out -which has worked out fine as there is time for the shutters to be installed before we move in!

It's been well worth the wait.[:)]