water waste ventilation

shimble

probably difficult to explain but.....rather than having the ventilation leading off to the roof from the upper most toilet, is it as effective and acceptable, to have the ventilation shaft exterior of the building, starting at a lower point than the upper toilet, but going up higher than the upper toilet. thus the ventilation is a branch off from the main waster pipe.Also how many waste ventilation shafts are necessary. so if anyone understands what i am trying to say and knows can they  please advise me  

Shimble.Your vent pipe could be taken off the soil pipe below the highest wc or bathroom connections, but if you do need to do it this way i would recomend that a T junction is fitted at the highest point of the soil pipe on your upper wc, fit a dirgo valve terminating above the level of the wc cistern.Normally a standard house on mains sewer only needs one vent pipe,with a fosse there is allso a vent for the field screen.Have fun.

hi

ok the way modern fosse systems are put in the tank should have it`s own seperate vent comming from the top or top side of the tank ,and no water etc should go down this , the inlet for the tank ie for all the water/solids  is a seperate pipe ( that emptys half way down the tank and is submerged ) that is not really a vent for the tank , but is just open to air to stop syphoning  when flushing etc ...so do what you like with it ,but be careful you donot end up with the latter.

Dave

Not sure of the French regs, if any, but in UK  the upper most part of the drainage run needs to be vented to air and not a dergo valve (air admittance valve) this is not because of syphoning but to allow the build up of fumes to vent to atmosphere, dergo valves only let air in and not out. Though a fosse has its own vent, the drains leading into it should be vented, at the highest point.

Hope this helps.

Stewart

thanks but leads me back does this valve need to be on the toilet waste or can it beon a branch off as long s it is higher than the topp toilet . sorry to be dumb but the adviceis getting ambiguos and contradictory

[quote user="stewart"]

Not sure of the French regs, if any, but in UK  the upper most part of the drainage run needs to be vented to air and not a dergo valve (air admittance valve) this is not because of syphoning but to allow the build up of fumes to vent to atmosphere, dergo valves only let air in and not out. Though a fosse has its own vent, the drains leading into it should be vented, at the highest point.

Hope this helps.

Stewart

[/quote]

hi ok

sorry stewart but french fosse systems are not like uk ones , they have a seperate vent for the tank itself ,not a stench pipe like the uk  ones . so you can fit a dergo on the inlet

dave

It would do no good at all to fit the vent or air admittance valve to a separate branch pipe lower down.  The whole point of the vent or air admittance valve is to allow air into the stack behind  the plug of water as it moves down the drainage stack. The plug of water, as it moves down the stack, creates a partial vacuum behind it. Unless air is admitted to fill this vacuum then the water will be sucked out of the traps.  Air cannot be admitted behind the descending water if the vent/valve is fitted to a separate branch which connects to the stack lower down.

Shimble .Where separate ventilation of branch pipes is not provided the length of the pipes should not exceed set rules ie 3m for 40mm pipe 4m for 50mm pipe 6m for single wc pipe etc etc,if they are longer  the branch pipe should be vented by its own stack or install a [dirgo/durgo] valve,[the spelling depends if you are from barkshire or oxfordshire.]the dirgo/durgo  must be fitted above the level of the highest water mark ie above the  level of the wc cistern.After the wc junction you can reduce the pipe from a100mm to the next size down to save a few cents, even run the pipe into the roof space and fit mr dirgo,it must not be boxed in so its air tight or it will not function correctly.Before any experts-- jump in im talking about branch pipes not soil stack pipes. Good luck michael.

Shimble.I think you are winding me up ..The branch sewer pipe goes to the wc connection, the junction or tee piece for the durgo or vent comes off that pipe before or after the toilet.Better still if you do not understand this i reckon its time you called a plumber in. Crumbs how did we win Agincourt.Michael.

if i wanted to wind you up i would .... i understand what your saying maybe its you that doesnt undersatnd what im  explaining i am talking about a branch vent pipe off the main sewer pipe plus a durgo valve on the main sewer and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

hi

ok does this help 

the tank with inlet ( left pipe )and  the vent above and right

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/Pdr_0054.jpg[/IMG]

the vent with correct type of fitting for end ( it`s not high enough I know but it`s going further up when finnished )

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/CopyofPDR_0015.jpg[/IMG]

the durgo for the toilet

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0005-2.jpg[/IMG]

both here , I only fitted the durgo because the bedroom is in the loft ,you could just fit an open cap but it would have to be well above the ridge line.

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0015.jpg[/IMG]

it was Welsh Bowmen that beat the French

Dave

Dave.The vent is high enough,there are no opening windows or sky lights near or above so its legal, a few more brackets would help!!.Your right about the welsh bowmen,that is why they all have one arm shorter than the other,the right hand can never reach their pockets to pay for a round.Big Smile [:D]Michael.