PER V. COPPER

LaRue

Started renovation of cottage in auvergne and am undecided whether to use copper or per for internal use. The house will be empty for most winters so I'm seeking advice as to which is safer/more reliable against freezing damage although system will be drained as far as possible. Also, is it recommended to empty the hot water tank? Does anyone have experience of leaving electric heaters on auto throughout the season.[8-)]

LaRue - a serious answer to your question.

You don't say where you are - which makes a very great difference. [edit - just seen that you have - what are the winters like in the Auvergne?]

We are in the same position in Normandy. We have copper pipes (artisan installed) with simple lagging, and have never (so far) had a freeze. We 'winterise' by emptying the chauffe eau and turning the water off at the mains in the road. We don't put antifreeze into toilets etc., but in some areas you might need to.

You may find that leaving electric heaters on for a period of more than a few days when you are not in residence will invalidate your insurance - best to check, or get someone to come in a few days before you arrive and switch on. Some people have advocated leaving central heating on, on a 'frost' setting - but we don't have CH, so I have no experience of that.

hi

ok now we have had the funnys lets see if we can help... I am not a lover of plastic it has not stood the test of  as time yet ( old school maybe me ) ok turn off at the main, drain  down your hot water tank put antifreeze in the heating system and tennis balls in the boggs

Dave maybe talking sence at last ..3 glasses and 2 sips

Oh yes, PER V Copper.

PER every time for me, I'm afraid Dave, but then I never attended the old school.

It is quick, reliable and (if you take time into account) and any idiot can do it (I cite myself as a prime example, having done about 6 complete "replumbs").

This is a bit like the wood v metal stud debate.....

I'm a modern man, me.

We are usually very conservative but installed PER 10 years ago and can report no problems at all. We put it in the gain which obviously hasn't had to be actioned but there if necessary. This facility isn't available with the copper and maybe a godsend with complete tiled walls showers etc

mmmm, I've never had a joint in a copper pipe, erm,,, undo itselfe!!! but to date i've had 3 plastic fittings fail, the last one was on a loft conversion that 12 months after completion my clients went away for a weekend, during that time the water board had finished the renewal of the water main in the road, i'll guess due to a surge in pressure or air locked in the pipework the fitting was torn from the pipework on the cold feed to the loft, hey presto, a claim on my liability insurance of £ 14,450 it was clearly installed corectly as the pipe end had deep laserations where it had been ripped out! Plus i've got a feeling that the rubber sealing ring will break down far quicker than copper and solder!

It is a DIY alternative, very quick and easy, but i'd not use the stuff again!

Stewart.

[quote user="LaRue"]Thanks for the advice ,have decided in the absence of evidence to contrary , to stick with copper[/quote]

Probably a good move.

Problem for me is I never learnt to braze, but I never fail to be impressed by proper French plumbers who make all their own joints.....