Painting front door.

David

At our holiday home in Port Leucate on the Med coast, our front door faces south and is exposed to sun and sea salt.  The door is quite new, but in small places the paint is starting to peel off.

My problem is that the door seems to be made of two types of metal.  The main panels seem to be a ferrous metal with red rust appearing, but the trims and small panels seem to be non ferrous (they are non magnetic) and are showing white rust in places.

Can anyone advise the name of a single primer and top coat that will cover both types of metal, or must I use separate paints for each type of metal?  Quite a pain using four tins of paint, two primers and two top coats, and wasting most of it.

Ideally I would like an all in one paint that would cover both types of metal, thus meaning that I only have to buy one tin of paint.

Many thanks in advance,

David.

Hi David,

Not sure if this is practical, but I would have the door removed, bead-blasted and then powder-coated. There is no tougher finish.

Just had a thought, if you want to be one up on the neighbours, you could always have it polished and chromed..........[:D][:D]

Sounds like a tricky problem. Sounds like possibly a combination of ferrous and galvanized panels.Red oxide primer is not usually suitable for non-ferrous metals, and other metal primers are not recommended for ferrous metals. Before I left the UK I worked for Sigma Kalon, the UK's largest manufacturer of paint, and in my capacity often had to ring the help-line for advice. I would suggest you do the same and explain your problem. They will of course only recommend their own products, so I would suggest you contact maybe Kalon, International Paints and Zinsser. If you're looking to buy in France and your French is up to it, do the same, but you may not find good advice at shop floor level.Best to speak to a manufacturer's help-line as they know their stuff.

One thought that occurred to me (although I don't know much about them) is perhaps using car spray primers and top-coats.

Thanks Bugbear, but I don't think I can manage that this year.

Thanks Vicar, very helpful, however, my Franch is not that good.  The idea about car paints seems good.

If I used two different primers for each type of metal, could I use one top coat for the whole door?  I am trying to keep things simple as I am presently in a wheelchair.

Many thanks,

David

IF PAINT IS STARTING TO PEEL OFF YOU MAY AS WELL ON A SMALL SURFACE LIKE A DOOR REMOVE IT ALL AS YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW WELL THE ORIGINAL SURFACES WERE PREPARED.

REMOVAL WITH ELECTRIC SANDER AND BY HAND WITH WET/DRY EMERY  PAPER .

YOU CAN ALSO USE PAINT STRIPPERS WHICH IS A STRONG SOLVENT CONTAINING WAX BUT THEN YOU MUST ENSURE WAX ALL REMOVED OR THE NEW PAINT WILL NOT STICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

METAL WHICH IS TURNING WHITE IS  GENERALLY EITHER ALUMINIUM OR GALVANISE AS THEY BOTH FORM WHITE RUSTS OR SALTS. THESE MUST BE REMOVED BY ABRADING USE A FINER QUALITY PAPER ON THESE AREAS OTHERWISE YOU WILL SCORE THE SURFACE TOO MUCH.

THE SURFACES MUST NOW BE WELL  WASHED WITH SOLVENT TO REMOVE GREASE AND ALLOWED TO DRY BEFORE PAINTING.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUY ONE PRIMER WHICH CAN BE USED ON THE ABOVE NON MAGNETIC  AND STEEL METALS.FOR EXAMPLE ZINC PHOSPHATE IS BEST OR RED OXIDE.HOWEVER THE FRENCH DON'T TEND TO USE MUCH ZINC PHOSPHATE PIGMENT AND YOU MAY HAVE TO GET IN THE UK UNLESS A LOCAL IMPORTER OF ENGLISH PAINTS CAN ORDER FOR YOU.

IF YOU CANNOT WAIT THEN BUY TWO KINDS AND USE MASKING TAPE.

THEN YOU SHOULD APPLY 2 COATS OF FINISH SUCH AS AN ALKYD GLOSS-PEINTURE GLYCERO IN FRENCH.

IF YOU GENTLY ABRADE WITH WET/DRY FNE EMERY AFTER FIRST COAT OF GLOSS IS HARD AND DRY THEN YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE AN UNDERCOAT AS IS A NORM IN THE U.K.

I WOULD NOT USE CAR PAINTS UNLESS YOU CAN REMOVE DOOR AND HAVE SPRAY  EQUIPMENTETC. AND KNOW HOW.

.ARE YOU TEMORARILY IN A WHEELCHAIR ?

LIKE  ONE OF THE  OTHER  REPLIERS I ALSO WAS IN THE PAINT INDUSTRY ALL OF MY LIFE--LOOKS LIKE UK IS LOSING THEM FAST TO THE FENCH WAY OF LIFE.I EVEN WORKED FOR SIGMABEFORE THE PURCHASE BY KALON-JESUS THATS GIVEN MY AGE AWAY AND I CAN ALSO REMEMBER MAKING PUTTY  ON AN EDGE RUNNER WHICH IS THE SAME GRINDING MACHINE USED TO CRUSH WALNUTS IN FRANCE>>

GOOD LUCK

FROM AN EXCILED GEORDIE.

Thanks very much Ab, very helpful indeed.  Unfortunately my last op didn't go too well, so I will be in a wheelchair for a little while yet.

As we are now running out of time before we go home, I think I will touch up the small areas using the paints you recommend, and next year do the whole door.  I have now found that the frame, which is also made of two metals, and the panels inset into the frame, are also starting to flake off in small places. So a touch up job for the winter, followed by a large job next spring.

Many thanks again,

David

Don't know if this will be helpful to you,but, firstly if your door is under 2 years old, it is covered by guarantee, and it should not be your liability to repair it, that said, I can understand how you may wish to get a job done right, by doing it yourself. Secondly, I would choose marine undercoat and marine gloss paint, after powder-coating it is the most durable paint on the market, but be prepared for a shock when you see the price.

Have found this link for International Special Metals primer: http://www.international-paints.co.uk/details.php?productid=103&primerprep=1&surfaceid=21

Hera is an idea of marine paint prices, note the quantity and price: http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/3263/international-750ml-toplac-paint

Good luck

I you are going to England then consider a 2 pack polyurethane which must be a brush applied type-this is the rolls royce of paints but you will nneed a 2 pack  epoxy  primer.

this system will give the  longest life before surface loss of gloss and chalking.

this system is  used extensively for offshore oil rig andd ship superstructures .

Many thanks Ab, I have now found a zinc phosphate primer and I will touch up the rusted areas to hold them for the winter.

When I am next over in the UK I will buy the two pack epoxy primer and two pack polyurethane for a full job next spring.

Many thanks,

David

I am surprised that no body else has suggested it, but have you thought of replacing the door with a hard wood door and frame? Save a bucket load of bugerigaring about with the unknown and the doors here come with the frame. If it is a standard size then Lepare will probably stock a good quality door/frame. Then it's prime, undercoat and a couple of coats of good quality French top coat. It will stand the sun much better than the U.K. formulations!

Just a suggestion. Plus in the winter, when you are not there, it will give much better insulation and less condensation than a metal door/frame???

The French also do a very good line in bespoke doors, still with the frame and in any wood that you would like. All you have to do is to give them the measurements and you have a door that will last for years, in the wood of your choice and the door fits the frame because they are made for each other...

If you are not sure of the measurements then most will even come and measure it for you.

Thanks Jonzjob,

We have now come back to our home in Deux-Sevres, but next time we are down I will research wooden doors.  I am not sure, but there may be a problem with that as we live in a co-proprietor site, and any changes have to be approved by the comittee.  This takes up to a year as they only consider changes at the AGM in July.

We have been trying for two years to get permission to glass in a covered porch, but with no result to date.  We would also like to add a conservatory, but we are told this will "be impossible/take many years/be very difficult", so we have abandoned that.  We tried without success to get permission for a satellite dish, eventually we just put it up and we are now waiting for the flak.

Thanks for your kind suggestion, I really will research it and try to persuade the President of the Syndic.

David