Extractor Fans

Liz

[quote user="Liz"]We have just had new en-suites installed and have been advised that we will need to fit extractor fans as a legal requirement, even though each en-suite has got windows, can any one confirm that this is so.[/quote]

Hi

I,m pretty sure it is for a new build, renovations don't have the same rules, but in any event you should fit them if you can, the damage caused without them isnt worth it and for what they cost its no big deal.

regards

A VMC ? Why would anyone want to go for such a low-tech solution

involving all those pipes, motors, switches, electricity consumption

and noise when the high-tech alternative exists? It comprises a hinged

panel, complete with securing latch, set into the window. It allows an

infinitely variable rate of air exchange, is perfectly silent in

operation, works during a power cut, and (depending on the model)

affords a means of emergency escape at no additional charge.

p

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

Because your "classic" solution also allows the ingress of nasty creepy things from spider-sized to man-size!

And a technological soultion is so much more ....  elegant...

[/quote]

Hi Nick think sometimes  you are waisting your time replying to posts like this...good advice on deaf ears ... let em fit their vents , let em get bit in bed by every creapy crawly that lives here in France..............Its a I want a French house but with English plumbing syndrome !

just wait 12 months and I think you will be out there fitting a vmc to their house...and  then charge em double

Dave[6]

Dave,

I think you're running away with this just a bit: The OP only asked if she had  to

install a fan (or VMC) when there are two perfectly acceptable windows;

I don't think you can extrapolate from that that Liz is in any way

intent on having "..a French house but with English plumbing..."

As for me, I was simply winding Nick up just a bit. In point of fact,

as soon as I finish typing this, I shall go back to the attic and

finish tiptoeing across joists, with lengths of flexy piping for the

VMC for my  two en-suites before putting the insolation and new floorboards  in place. sadly both ensuites are internal.

p

A slight change of tack. Our house is used infrequently and we arrange unnocupied ventilation by wedging the insert door a little ajar, slightly opening a window behind the shutters, leaving veluxes in vent mode together with a few UK whirly vents in some windows.

It's OK, but could be better.

We turn off the electricity when away (which is most of the time) so haven't bothered to go down the VMC route.

What about a solar powered / lead acid battery VMC system? Is there one? Can you design and make an effective one yourself?