New House extension.

James

Hi,

I would like to build a new one and a half storey extension in block on the side of our rural house to comprise of entrance hall,wc and Kitchen and stairs up to a new landing, bedroom and bathroom. The outside ground square meterage of the new extension including the exterior walls will be approximately 29 sq metres down and the same up.

The exterior sq metres of the existing house including the stone walls is 39sqm. One room down and the same 39 sqm up. 

Is there any limits on size, for the new extension you have to keep within in relation to the existing building?

What form would be needed from the Marie for permission for the extention?

Many thanks James.

One constraint could be the "coefficients d’occupation du sol". This is the ratio of the size of the building relative to the size of the plot. The main problem is if your house is already relatively large compared to the size of the plot. It usually only causes problems in towns where plots tend to be smaller.

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.  The extension and house will be under 140 square metres, and so I am going to try submitting my own drawings and plans.  The property and a few other buildings that we own is on 9,000 square metres so I dont see that would cause any problems as to ratio of house to land. As you say I think that its more for Towns and Villages. The edge of the new extention would be about 7 metres away from the boundary.

I will see the Mairies secretary next week and show her my plans and fill out the form. I think you are going to be right about a Permis de construire.

Many thanks James.

I would guess that, unless you are within 500M of an "historic building" and Batiments de France become involved, you are home free...

Hi Nick,

I hope so, the home free part. we shall see!!  or, we get the yes or no or alter this and it will be a yes. Thanks James.