soil pipes

Toodlepips

is it ok to concrete soil pipes, both indoors and outdoors.

i know this is now against building regulations in the UK - is there a good reason for that?  or can I safely concrete in my bathroom wastepipes (they go through a trench in the next room and out of that wall to the outside).

thank you

I have done just that without giving it a second thought, as there is no building control or regs to speak of (OK I know there are norms but for this?) why are you concerned?

A French friend once gave me some good advice, you are free to build your house from cereal packets should you wish, as long as it is to the appearance and dimensions of the plans.

hi ok

is it ok to concrete soil pipes, both indoors and outdoors.

i know this is now against building regulations in the UK - is there a good reason for that

yes there is , it`s because of expansion and contraction with heat /cold and soil movement.

old clay pipes should be set in concrete in or under the house ( they expand and contract the same as concrete ) and out side because they were in short lengths so  were ok in gravel ,any ground movement and the pipes just moved with it without breakage ( within limits )

plastic pipe does not expand the same as concrete,so ??? for outside the uk soil pipe has rubber ring fittings to allow for any ground  movement ,the french pipes have longer slide in collars ( do not glue under ground soil pipes) this allows for ground and heat movement..

so if you are going to set em in concrete !!! make sure you put in enough so nowt moves!!!! but then if it`s a stone house it will.

Dave

Hi thanks for the replies.

JR :I was concerened about expansion/contraction issues

Dave :You say not to glue pipes in concrete or in th soil.  in soil the pipes I am joining them to pipes of a newly installed fosse and the pipes are all glued.so I was going to glue the pipes to it

thanks

Regrettably I gave no thought to the practical reason for the existence of some building regs[:)]

Mine are all glued!

I have just reread your post and my reply "why are you worried?" -  because there may have been, and is, a good reason for the building regs.

Wish I had thought that rather than I can do what I want, "ni vu ni connu" which by the way is the phrase given to me by my Maire when I aired my planning concerns[:D].

[quote user="J.R."]

Regrettably I gave no thought to the practical reason for the existence of some building regs[:)]

Mine are all glued!

I have just reread your post and my reply "why are you worried?" -  because there may have been, and is, a good reason for the building regs.

Wish I had thought that rather than I can do what I want, "ni vu ni connu" which by the way is the phrase given to me by my Maire when I aired my planning concerns[:D].

[/quote]

[quote] for outside the uk soil pipe has rubber ring fittings to allow for any ground  movement ,the french pipes have longer slide in collars ( do not glue under ground soil pipes) this allows for ground and heat movement..[/quote]

French underground pipes also have rubber seals AND are 110mm diameter - you don't find them easily in the bricosheds though...need to go to a proper plumbers merchants.  What you need to ask for is '110mm CR4' for underground spec pipe - expect to pay max 10 euro TTC for a 3m length.  Identical to the UK stuff only it usually comes in grey whereas I think the UK stuff has to be in brown/teracotta colour.

Chris 

hi ok

totally agree with you ,,, but toilet out lets are 100mm fosse is 100mm regaurds are 100mm drainage field pipe is 100mm ,all them reducers can cause a problem  ,  I hate putting any bend or restriction between the house and the tank ,the out let from the tank is ,or should be just liquid so no prob there , but  do they not just use 110 mm pipe here for going into the mains drains ?? question was for a fosse ?? I hope

Dave 

Hi Dave,

Yes you're correct, toilet outlets are 100mm BUT fosse inlet & outlets are 110mm (certainly the Sotralentz fosses - and they seem to be pretty much universal over here).  The advice I've had from both good bricoleurs & the trade counter at the plumbers merchants is that you use the cheap solvent weld PVC 100mm in the house but then go to a 100/110 adapter and then 110mm CR4 as soon as you go underground. 

Can't remember the dia of drain field pipe but as you say 'its just liquid' at that point so going back to 100mm with a reducer (without glue) should cause no issues.

Cheers

Chris