Plasterboard paint

bixy

Having finally arrived at the magic moment where I can sit down and choose the paint for my new room, I find that I have no idea whether I should be choosing water based or oil based paint. This is for new plasterboard which has just been undercoated with plasterboard undercoat/sealant. Can someone advise me?

Patrick

If the plasterboard has been primed with "sous coche pour plaque au plaitre", which is a special paint for new plaster board, it should not need any plastering and you can paper or paint on top of the sous-couche.  You could give it a coat of cheap emulsion if you want to prevent the paste being absorbed too quickly.

We always prime new plasterboard with a diluted emulsion because new boards just suck the whole lot in and it will cost a fortune.   Normally we have used a cheapo white emulsion diluted with water, then when this has dried put our chosen colour on top.

Have not used French paint yet - OH gets a good deal through his supplier in UK so we use that.  Also we have been told the quality of Renoulac etc is not as good as UK paints and the colour range is limited. 

[quote user="Framboise"]

Have not used French paint yet - OH gets a good deal through his supplier in UK so we use that.  Also we have been told the quality of Renoulac etc is not as good as UK paints and the colour range is limited. 

[/quote]

My experience re: the "French paint is expensive and rubbish" rumour is that it is wrong.  You can buy expensive and rubbish paint in France (and in the UK as well).  However, you can relatively easy find very reasonably priced good paint (sometimes different brands and/or shops for different types of paint).

I'm a bit out of date with UK prices (not purchased any there for over 4 years) but paint I buy now is cheaper that in the UK and same quality (i.e. I don't buy the rubbish stuff as it is too much work).  In France, most expensive is not always the best.

As for colour range - in France they have these machines that will mix up the exact colour you want (wonders of modern technology) - so you can have whatever colour you want.  Take in a sample and they will scan it or select from vast ranges of colour cards.  Amazing stuff !!!

Ian

OH gets  trade discount here from a trade-only supplier and better price for bulk (the amount we need, we qualify for that extra discount).  Seeing as we are still backwards and forwards with the trailer, a few cans tucked in the back does not make a lot of difference.     For us it is cheaper this way.