Wiring Colours

robbie

[quote user="Gluestick"]Christmas stuck in the Emirates, though[/quote]

I can think of worse places, Saudi for one [+o(][+o(][+o(].

At least now you can openly celebrate Christmas in the Emirates. In the 80's when I was there it was OK in private but overt displays were a no no.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]When I was stuck in Saudi I used to dream of escaping to the Emirates[/quote]

Amen to that, actually escaping to anywhere would do [:D]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Now I dream of escaping to France on a permanent basis[/quote]

Here's hoping your dream comes true sooner rather than later.

Is Sharjah still a dry oasis in the middle of a pi55heads paradise I wonder ?

To get back on topic, what colour wiring are they using in the Emirates these days [;-)]

Going back to wiring colours......

I think whoever wired our house was colour blind.

Perhaps most disturbing were the additional modern three pin sockets that had been installed which, on inspection had simply been wired into the existing two wire system so no earth.

The required kitchen that does not meet French standards by a very long way. Now instead of a partial rewire it will now be a full rewire. Still, at least I will know that it will be correct.

Paul

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Is Sharjah still a dry oasis in the middle of a pi55heads paradise I wonder ?

To get back on topic, what colour wiring are they using in the Emirates these days [;-)]

[/quote]

Yep, Sharjah is still dry, except for the Wanderers Sports Club (special licence from His Highness The Ruler), but I'm not a member of that establishment so do my drinking at home.

Emirates wiring???? supposed to be international  standard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but as interpreted by colour blind Bangladeshi labourers or worse.

[quote user="SteveTheLight"]FWIW Many may say that 70's wiring is no longer considered 'modern'[/quote]Which is why I said "relatively" and I certainly wouldn't have expected such chaos and poor practice in a UK property of similar age.

[quote user="SteveTheLight"]All UK wiring colours changed in 2005 to "Harmonise" the UK with Europe. Brown replaced Red (Live and phase 1) - Blue replaced Black (Neutral),  Black replaced Yellow (Live phase 2) Grey replaced Blue (Live phase 3). This means that black has changed from  neutral to  live and blue changed from live to neutral - just to confuse everyone and we how have to place a notice at the consumer unit saying that the colours may be mixed if we install new cables in an old installation.[/quote]

You're talking about the infamous "Part P" I think. Laudable enough in it's aims but, as with many such "improvements", in reality achieved precious little except to create a few "jobs for the boys" (AKA council inspectors) and pi** a lot of professional electricans off. It's also driven some work "underground" giving the cowboys yet more opportunities. 

Of course, those in the know, your's truly included, stocked up on the old Red/Black whilst it was still available.

Subsequent to Part P's introduction I made a criminal out of myself several times over by doing electrical jobs in my own house, (as I have always done and not killed myself or anybody else yet), but all with old Red/Black cable of course, so it "predates" [Www]

I confess your honour, please bang me up now for my own safety [:P]

It's a change in BS7671 (the wiring regulations) and technically not "part P" which is an addition to the building regulations. The vast majority of  self respecting electricians welcome Part P as it formalises the practice we have been doing for many years. Unfortunatley, because all electricial businesses now need to be registered, the approval authorities have had to reduce the level of competence required to become an "approved installer" so what really p***** off established and approved contractors under the old system  is that they are now competing with less experienced and less qualified installers under the same (reduced) new banner of competence.  (Rant over - dummy back in pram).

I have to admit, I'm wiring a French house without the "proper" French qualifications and perhaps we will one day be discussing this over a  bowl of porridge[:)] , Incidentally,  the test for a safe installation should be a visual inspection and test using an electronic test instrument - not a human one[;-)] . 

[quote user="SteveTheLight"]

I have to admit, I'm wiring a French house without the "proper" French qualifications and perhaps we will one day be discussing this over a  bowl of porridge[:)] , Incidentally,  the test for a safe installation should be a visual inspection and test using an electronic test instrument - not a human one[;-)] . 

[/quote]

Here at least, you have the right to do this - and long may it continue (assuming that it is your own house!), so you won't be joining him in clink.