End of works celebration

Chrissie

I KNOW there has been at least one thread on having a bit of a do at the end of renovations, but I have searched and searched[8-)]........

I really want to do this, and I want everyone to have a good time, as we have had a lot of good people working here over the last 5 months or so, so I want to get it right. Can anyone tell me:

a: is lunchtime a good time (or should it be well before lunch so they can go home and manage the usual meal at home at midday?)

b: is it OK to do pastis, wine, beer plus nibbly things or will they expect something more substantial?

c: should I do it now that the works themselves are just completed, or should I hang on a week or two while I furnish and smarten the place up a bit, (so they can see what the real end result is?)

d: suddenly thought - do you ask them plus their other halves, so the wives can see what hubby has been up to for months?  (Actually I think that might be a nice idea....)

OR, if anyone can find a previous thread and point me to it I'll be delighted![:D]

Chrissie (81)

What about apperos about 6.00 pm for workers + other halves and offer your option B (don't forget the whisky!). If you do it lunchtime it upsets the main meal of the day, and no-one will want a drink before 12.00.

I think it would be nice to do it in a couple of weeks when you have 'furnished' the place - give them all a better idea of what you were aiming for.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

and no-one will want a drink before 12.00.

[/quote]

Yet more confirmation that I live in "special" area, the busiest time in the bars (for workers) here is 07.00 -08.00, closely followed by the 16.30 - 18.30

Oh and I forgot the drinking Pastis (usually neat) in the workplace custom that starts 30 minutes before the scheduled lunch break which is why it is taboo to turn up at builders merchants that time (as I always do) unless you join them [blink]

I am renovating an abandoned/derelict/bankrupt bar opposite the largest factory in the region and have heard tales of its heyday in the 70's when there were also several more adjacent watering holes.

From early in the morning, for the starting first shift and leaving night shift workers, the pre-filled spirit glasses were lined up 6 deep the full length of the bar, each customer had his particular line which he would polish off in swift succession and leave having chalked up yet more debt on his "ardoise"

The guy who told me was responsible for paying out their cash lump sum pension payments but first he had to discharge their debts at the bar (whose owners would always extend their credit before retirement), and secondly answer to the enraged spouses when they found out that their retirement dream had been literally drunk away.

Things have moved on but old habits die hard and it is definitely part of the culture hereabouts.

Thanks for all the comments.  I think I am leaning towards the 6pm do, and I'll play it safe and sound out one of them about wives and other halves before I invite everyone.

J.R., the description of the heavy drinking in the bars made me think of the old "6 o'clock swill" in Australia in about the 50s/60s.

Chrissie (81)

We did this a couple of years ago after we'd had various artisans working for 5 months on our house.  And a fantastic job they did too!!  We invited all of our neighbours..........for having put up with the lorries, noise and disruption and all the artisans and their wives.  We invited them for around 5.00pm then provided then provided 'substantial' nibbles and apperatives.........pastis, whiskey, beer, wine, pineau etc.  It seemed to be a huge success..........everyone enjoying themselves - and suprisingly, bringing with them the most gorgeous 'house-warming' prezzies.......this we did not expect!!

We left it until around a month after all the work had finished so that we could get everything looking half decent.  I think it was well appreciated by the artisans, neighbours and wives and I would definitely recommend it...........we've also had no problem getting them back since for other jobs.