First steps

pk

Hope this is the right place for a posting - having just returned from 2 weeks (not for the first time) in France we have come to the conclusion that we would have a better quality of life over there and have started taking steps for the move - language lessons - property searching - tax laws etc.

Someone has mentioned the Charante to us and we intend having a trip there next month - we would really appreciate any information on the area and which bits are worth a look and which to avoid.  Thanks peter

[quote user="Framboise"]Why just Charente?  Everyone will tell you to have a REAL look around before you settle on a particular area because you may find another place that you simply fall in love with, somewhere you never expected!   [:)][/quote]

Absolutely right.

Plus, have a 2nd look in Oct / Nov, or Feb / March, so no rose-tinted sunglasses.

[quote user="Framboise"]Why just Charente?  Everyone will tell you to have a REAL look around before you settle on a particular area because you may find another place that you simply fall in love with, somewhere you never expected!   [:)][/quote]

I also fully endorse Framboise's comments.

My wife and I were convinced that Brittany was the only place to buy, but then persuaded to look in the Limousin as well - which we did.

We ended up buying in neither of them and settled for Indre et Loire, which we now love dearly.

Good luck with your search and I thoroughly recommend you keep coming back on this website - there is some fabulous information available from many people who have 'been there and done that'.

Mel