SPIRAL STAIRS & MIMIMUM HEADROOM

scotslassie

Does anyone know what the regulations are regarding mimimum heights of rooms in barn conversions?  I have spotted a small barn for sale which has a concrete floor over the cellar and a floored upstairs.  It has CU agreed and I wondered if I could put a spiral staircase in to save on space or whether these are frowned upon.  I was hoping the current heights (yet to be measured) would be ok but not sure what the minimum requirements are in France.  Also what size septic tank (approx) would a 2 bed cottage require.  Any help appreciated - I have just mastered the forum so will have lots more questions soon!!

Don't think there is any regulation but only the area with a headroom of 1.8metres or greater counts as habitable space. It would be bad design if the stairs arrived at a point with less headroom. Personally, I always locate the stairs before anything else is decided when drawing up a barn conversion. Never really seen a good spiral stair that saves space. 3000 litre septic would be required with either a 25 sq.m. sand filter or 60 metres of soakaway drains.

Everything I have ever read or done with spiral staircases is that they take up the same amount  or more space but that it is arranged differently. Also you will probably find that you either need an exterior hoist and bring beds etc in through the windows Dutch style or you need a trap door in the floor.

Thanks for that.  I can start pricing things more accurately.  The garden is only 11m x 13.5 approx.  How do I know which system to use?  Cheapest would be best but I'm sure I won't be that lucky!!!  Any ideas on minimum distance from house?

[quote user="scotslassie"]Thanks for that.  I can start pricing things more accurately.  The garden is only 11m x 13.5 approx.  How do I know which system to use?  Cheapest would be best but I'm sure I won't be that lucky!!!  Any ideas on minimum distance from house?[/quote]

hi ok

you need to get the tank itself close to the house if it`s more than 7 mtrs away you will have to fit a degreasing tank and the deeper it has to go to get a fall for the pipe work. The 2 types are dictated by how well the land drains ,you will need to do a percolation test .

have a look at page 4 here   http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=60 it will give you some idea of a sand filter system

Dave