WIRING FOR ELECTRIC HOB

belu

The probable, but not certain, size of wiring to for a plaque de cusine is 6.0 mm square which is rated to 32 amps say 7.4 kilowatts. I have seen UK hobs which need 9.2 kilowatts

If seen hobs in houses we were thinking of buying wired with only a 2.5 mm, rated to 20 amps say 4.6 kilowatts where the circuit was only used for auto ignition of the hob.

You could replace with 10 mm which would get you 11.5 Kilowatts.

However you also need to look at the size of you total supply and how much to upgrade.

Most of the websites do not list the power requirements for hobs.

Thank you for your replies.  The reason we want to buy in UK is that the actual hob we want is not available in France; the closest one is double the price £285.00 in UK, 790 euros in France.  Almost all the other appliances are also double the cost in France so overall by buying all our kitchen appliances in UK we could save well over £1,500.  We have a lorry coming to France anyway so it won't cost us anymore to "ship" it.

We think the hob we are buying is a 6 kw one (will check); we know that the wiring at the house is 32 amp so that will be sufficient; however, will we have to change the wire that comes with the hob or will we need an electrician to replace this wire with a "French"one!!  Sorry to sound naive.

At 6Kw, your hob will (probably) have screw terminals to which you would need to connect a length of 6mm Sq flex. At the "wall" end, you will either have a junction box, or a large 32A socket. Connect to the JB or attach the appropriate plug to the end of the cable.

BUT. Think carefully about using a hob this size in France. They are rare because French supplies are frequently not up to the job. If you only have a 6KW supply (likely if you have non-electric heating and are rural) you will only be able to run the hob at full power on its own - no lights, kettle, oven, C/E at the same time....

Check the bottom of your bill for the size of your supply.

Buying brown goods in the UK is often tempting (especially at the moment!) but the whole cooking ethos is different here.

I don't think that everybody realises before they live here that you have limited supply, and that even if you live in a town the monthly standing charge is based on the power you have chosen. 3/6/9 kw  etc, and that if you exceed it, the trip switch ...TRIPS .

This is a reason why the sort of high-consumption-for- a short-burst appliance ( such as power showers) are much less in evidence over here.

Hi Nick

Our electricity is not yet connected to the house (new build) but the application form says 12 KVA - we do have all electric heating so should we be OK with the 6Kw hob?  Also, there is a 32A wall socket.  Thanks for your advice.

[quote user="belu"]

Hi Nick

Our electricity is not yet connected to the house (new build) but the application form says 12 KVA - we do have all electric heating so should we be OK with the 6Kw hob?  Also, there is a 32A wall socket.  Thanks for your advice.

[/quote]

Probably. The maths is quite easy. Add up everything you are using (at one time) - 6Kw for the hob. 2.5Kw for the oven 1-2Kw for each heater etc and if the number exceeds 12 then the trip should go.

There are techincal solutions for popping over-current trips, so you need never be plunged into darkness (in the middle of winter, in the middle of a dinner party).

Why not use gas for the hob? Much better all round IMHO.

Nick, I suspect that you will have a 'deselecter' as part of the TR section of the GTL, this will cut of the supply to the water heater UFH and typically the washing machine if your consumption approaches 12KW. This is how our new build works and I believe is typical.

The only problem we have come up against so far with the build in this direction is that in spite of the drawing provided the cooker outlet is behind the sink. I asked why and was told thats where they always put them, so now I have to move it.

We have decided to go gas for the hob mainly for diversity. I think we will put in two single ovens as the doubles are so very expensive in France for the reasons outlined above in other postings. I want to b locally for support reasons.

Bonne chance...M

[quote user="strebor"]Nick, I suspect that you will have a 'deselecter' as part of the TR section of the GTL, this will cut of the supply to the water heater UFH and typically the washing machine if your consumption approaches 12KW.

[/quote]

I presume that this was meant for the OP, not me.

This is, of course what I was alluding to in my posting above. Without the abreviations, of course....

Hi again

We do not have gas connected to the house (I had a nasty accident with gas as a child and have been wary of it since). However, if we bought a gas hob would it run on bottled gas? and could this bottle be installed in a kitchen cupboard under the hob rather than siting it on the outside of the house?

Yes gas hobs are very common in France for the reasons mentioned above about power consumption of electric hobs. You can buy hobs here with 3 gas rings and one electric which is a good compromise.

The bottles can be stored in an adjacent kitchen cupboard, as long as there is adequate ventilation into the kitchen. You must not store any bottled gas in basements or cellars below the kitchen level though, for safety reasons. If you store the gas outside then it must be Propane  gas; Butane gas is used indoors.