Polythene sheet for roof

andyps

We have a barn attached to our house (actually the old village forge) which is in need of re-roofing but at present I don't want to have the expense of that - it may be that we will want to do something different with it in the future but the rest of the house is currently priority. As many of the tiles are falling off and rain is getting through I am thinking of removing all the tiles and covering the wood with thick polythene battened down with wood - the question is does anyone know what type of polythene (or similar) to use and where to get it from in 29, 56 or 22 (we are just in 29 but on the border of all three), hoping to get something which will last at least 5 years. Also, is there any need to get permission to do this?

Lariviere (Pontivy)s ell a breathable membrane, about 75m2 (50mx1.5m) for about €50 it is re-inforced, so if you roll it onto the chevrons horizontally starting at the bottom, and working your way to the top, and then batted along the chevrons, when you come to re-roof, you won't need to take the membrane off. It is clear so lets the light flood in, don't forget you will need permission first.

Just watch out for the thick blue stuff that looks ideal - thick and strong, but then degrades in sunlight and after a year or so goes very brittle with thousands and thousands of horrible flakes all over the place. I used it once to protect a trailer tent in winter when it was stored outside- never again! I was still finding blue bits in flower beds years later. Then, as I picked them up they would crumble further.

If I remember rightly, the stuff  I used was a damp-proofing plastic used in house foundations. It doesn't get much light there so does that  job quite OK.

I don't know how you'd find out about resistivity to degradation by sunlight - but however, please do before you install it.

Absolutely, most memebranes are not UV stabilised and will degrade rapidly (1 year tops) exposed to light.

You would be best asking at a builders merchant for a film that is uv stabilised - and don't expect it to be cheap.  You might be better with conventional bitumenised covering (shed type stuff) at least that should give you 10 years cover.