English light fittings - usable in France?

Padzy

I try to source locally in France wherever possible, but would like to have two outside lights we bought in England (but do not need there) installed (by a Frenchman) in our French property. Should they run alright on the French electricity supply? Thanks for any helpful replies. Padzy.

Yes they are useable . The only lighting issues which I am aware of :

New supply / major rebuild where a CONSUEL inspection is required and they mught not be stamped NF.

SBC - Small Bayonet Fitting bulbs are bot available except for fridge and sewing machine lamps of very low wattage

[quote user="sheldonrobbo"]

and as long as they carry the CE mark they are ok for anywhere in EU

[/quote]

That is too sweeping a generalisation to be of any use, I'm afraid. The CE mark covers a whole range of things and applies only to the standards that are listed on the certificate that must accompany the goods. For example, a CE-marked cuddly toy is not covered by the low-voltage directive, but it will be to the appropriate toy standard - as stated on the certificate. Just because a UK socket (or light) is CE marked doesn't mean it can be used in France - the CE marking cannot apply to the French standard, because the pins (eg.) are wrong.... It would conform to the emissions limits however. The lamp probably would be legal to use in France, but you must check on the certificate.

Been here before, haven't we?