RE underground oil tank...

passepartout

We have recently had installed an underground oil tank, and have had the fuel delivered, as we only get down to the property every so often, not often enough in my opinion, but that's another matter, we thought it a good idea to lock the access cover, is there anything available out there, or have any of you any helpful ideas please.

I think you should speak to the company who installed the tank. You will probably find that it belongs to them and they may have their own system of security. We have a buried gas tank and Antargaz want to have access at all times.

I hope my reply covered both though how one would steal gas beats me.

It used to be possible (or was it standard) to have a hinged, padlockable top on an oil tank, but I dunno if these exist in France.

By the way, if you have a goodly amount of oil in a tank like that, is it covered by standard insurance policies? Losing say the contents of a 2000 litre tank would be expensive these days.

I also answered realising it was oil not gas, but my point is that if the tank belongs to the company (as does our gas tank) they could have their own means of securing the contents. So ask their advice first.

[quote user="Patf"]I also answered realising it was oil not gas, but my point is that if the tank belongs to the company (as does our gas tank) they could have their own means of securing the contents. So ask their advice first.[/quote]

Oil tanks do not belong to the oil company they belong to the owner of the oil tank

You made an assumption

You know what that is?

A locking cap on an oil tank is no deterrent to a determined thief. Being plastic it's a 30 second job to drill or punch a hole in it. If they're going to be brazen enough to arrive in something suitable for stealing your oil then having a drill or hacksaw with them to saw the whole top off will be a pretty sure bet.

They're going to get the oil in any case so why sacrifice the tank too. On the other hand I can see the insurance company paying out for the oil and a new tank if it's been damaged in the act but washing their hands of you if you've deliberately left it unlocked.

It's a bit like having to close the shutters when you go away for more than 24 hours effectively giving the would be burglars the green light to come and help themselves !

BTW, had 1189 litres delivered today @.90 = 1080.08 euros, and that's with a coincident delivery of 1000 litres to my neighbour to get the aggregate price [:-))]