Heures Creuses Switching

BobDee

We have a 6kw supply (Single phase), on the heures creuses tarrif which in effect means that the meter in the lane, about 100 yds from the house, has two displays from which the HP and HC rates can be read.

From my limited knowledge of the HC system, I understand that were the meter to be adjacent to the main tableau, a control wire could be extended to a teleinterrupteur in the tableau to directly control socket outlets such that they are only live in HC time. Please correct me if this wrong.

Given that the meter is well distanced from the tableau. is there a device that can detect the HC switch signal as generated by EDF, beyond the meter and used remotely by tableau switching equipment?

A supplementary.. What is the nature of the HC switch signal? is it an audio tone, pulse to earth from the neutral or what...?

Regs

BobD

The siting of the compteur makes no difference.

Once the supply switches over to Heures Creuse at circa midnight (it does vary region-to-region) ALL electricity consumed is at the cheaper rate.

The pulse-detecting switch detects the EDF generated pulse. People are often confused over this.

The point of the switch is that your end device (e.g. ballon) is enabled permanently (switch set to the pulse position; rather than on all the time or off) but does not supply the device until until the switch itself, (it's simply a pulse detector and a solenoid), is enabled too. Thus you don't have to switch it on at midnight, e.g.

You can (should!) take further advantage of the cheaper rate by setting washing machines and dishwashers to not come on until the cheap rate kicks in.

I'm sure Nick or Paul Punchard can explain the technical nature of the pulse: my understanding is that it's injected along the lines at a main distribution point.

On the modern electronic meters there are a set of volt free normally open contacts , C1 & C2 which become closed during "heures creuses".

On the older mechanical meters, which you seem to have there is normally a sealed relay adjacent to the meter (or in your house) which I believe receives a pulse of 175 Hz frequency to operate a contacter in your tableau electrique . If you do not have this relay you could either ask the EDF to install one for you ( you will need to supply a pair of 1.5mm wires protected by a 2amp disjoncteur), or you could fit a simple timeclock in your tableau that could be set to switch a contactor on and off during your "heures creuses".

The actual off peak hours and tariff you have are marked on the rear (bottom )of your EDF facture. It may be worth checking that you are actually on the EDF tariff.

Thanks for the inputs.

The facture shows the two rates HP and HC so we are definitely on the split tariff.

From what I can gather than, the use of the EDF switch pulse dosn't do anthing more than would a time switch on each device that would benefit from night time usage, and at least the time switch route has the advantage of keeping all the PC wiring standard.

Do EDF have to provide the "pulse detector" relay, or can you source one independently?

BobD 

I didn't pick up correctly on the meter 100 yds along the lane. Apols.

Typically me trying to do too much at the same time!

My pulse switch was supplied by the electrician. I also had had, previously, one of the new solid state meters with LCD panels.

All done whilst I was in the UK.

Is it worth your asking EDF to move your meter indoors?

One tip: if you do go this route, ask them to install one of the new type which can be read, remotely, from outside the house.