Electrics for kiln

melmoth

Hi,

I'm planning to instanll a 6.6 KW pottery kiln - my house is rated at 7KW - I suppose  could just turn everything else off whilst I use the kiln but if I decide to try and get EDF to give me more electricity how do I do that? Also what rules , if any, electricity wise, might apply to installation of a high electricity consuming kiln (when in use it runs for 12 hours or so.

thanks

Brendan

First thing to do is to pop into your local EDF office and ask. It is regulated at the main switch and I think up to 9kW they just come and tweak something and then reseal it. Above that you need a new main switch which might cost a bit. However you may be limited by the external supply, they will advise.

I would think that a 6.6kW kiln should be OK on 6mm2 wiring with a 32A disjonctuer on the board, but anybody else got any advance on that ?

Firstly, I doubt if you have 7Kw - more likely 6 or 9. If you have 6, then you definately need to upgrade (ask EDF, as the other poster has advised). If you have 9, then you may be OK, but upgrading to 12Kw would be sensible. Look on the bottom of your bill for your current (NPI) supply.

If you are running you kiln for 12 hours, you should take advantage of "heures creuses", the day/night supply - much cheaper at night.

6.6Kw is just about OK on a 32A supply (actually needs 30A), 6mm cable should be OK, too, provided the run is not too long.

Lastly, are you sure your kiln is not 3-phase? A large proportion (especially French ones) are.

Much obliged for the info - re three phase, I have just been given the kiln in the UK and I'm new to pottery so don't know all about it yet - shamefully I don't know what three phase means! - another question is will it work as well on the French 220 volts (it's got 240 V on its plate)?

Brendan

If it has one of those metal rating plates which are printed with boxes and then stamped with the values, it will probably have a box labelled "PH" with either a 1 or a 3 in it for single or 3 phase.

Actually if it has 4 terminals plus earth, I'd reckon it's 3-phase!

paul