Anyone had a house built for them recently?

Rose

Dear all - my IL's are thinking of moving to France [:-))] and they quite like the idea of buying a plot and having a house built for them.  Is there anyone out there who has done this too?  We're trying to gauge an idea of building costs... costs per m2?  Has it turned our cheaper or more expensive for you to buy this way?  We dont really want to go to a builder yet as we're just playing with figures for them.

Also, if you've had a house built for you, what was the experience like?  Would you do it again?  Would you recommend the builders?

Any advice welcome [:)]

Hi ams... thanks for the reply...it sounds like you're building for 'business rather than pleasure".  I've dropped you an email but I'm really interested to hear from anyone who had their own home built for them...

p.s. sorry in advance if I've misunderstood [:$] [:)]

[quote user="babcock"]My neice and husband are having a house built. To establish costs you need to be a bit more specific. They are doing kitchen, tiling and some other work themselves as her husband is a builder. Have you tried asking a construction company?[/quote]

Hi Babcock thanks for the reply - we have tried a few companies but they are very keen to 'sell' us their product and we're just trying to get ball-park figures... we dont really want to have meetings and plans at this stage... which is very frustrating!  I think we're a step before this ....Is 1000 euros per m2 unreasonable low?  does the cost per m2 include the TVA?  at this stage we just want to know if it's feasible. [blink]

thanks for the other pm's... I'll be in touch soon! [:D]

We sold our old stone

house and then had a modern one built for us, it was built by a large well

known company in the SW and I would highly recommend them. There is another well

known company in the SW, I would not recommend.

We had already bought

the land some years previously; we chose a design for the house from their extensive

catalogue then adapted this to suit our needs.

Although we were given

a 12 month timescale, the build was completed in only 9 months and on budget

We are more than happy

with the finished result, we paid a very small deposit to start the works and

then stage payments throughout the construction.

The downsides I guess,

unless you are building on a Lotissement are the cost of services, water,

electricity, telephone, mains drainage if available or a fosse septic and access

to the land.

It’s a good idea to be

available for the site visits during construction so you can make sure things

are going to plan.

Post recovered by a mod.

[quote user="gosub"]

[/quote]

Thanks gosub... that's made it all much clearer for me now.... [:$] [Www] [:)]

[quote user="Rose"]

[quote user="gosub"]

[/quote]

Thanks gosub... that's made it all much clearer for me now.... [:$] [Www] [:)]

[/quote]

Try again.

We sold our old stone

house and then had a modern one built for us, it was built by a large well

known company in the SW and I would highly recommend them. There is another well

known company in the SW, I would not recommend.

We had already bought

the land some years previously; we chose a design for the house from their extensive

catalogue then adapted this to suit our needs.

Although we were given

a 12 month timescale, the build was completed in only 9 months and on budget

We are more than happy

with the finished result, we paid a very small deposit to start the works and

then stage payments throughout the construction.

The downsides I guess,

unless you are building on a Lotissement are the cost of services, water,

electricity, telephone, mains drainage if available or a fosse septique and access

to the land.

It’s a good idea to be

available for the site visits during construction so you can make sure things

are going to plan.

The property was completed a year ago and the cost per M2 was around the €1000 but we had managed to hold the price for about 18 months before commencing work.

I would think if you use one of the construction company's, it's more realistic to work on €1200 - €1300 M2 now.

We fitted our own kitchen and did all the decorating inside.

We did choose extras like electric shutters, underfloor heating, chimney and several other extras.

The costs for all the services worked out to around €10000 about €5500 of this was because we chose to have the house built about 50 metres back from the road and it cost more for the electricity, main drainage and driveway to be put in.