Night Storage heaters

TeryFisher

We have a cottage in which we were intending to install night storage heaters purchased in the UK but installed by a qualified French electrician, through the switch on the fuse board to recharge overnight using economy electricity, but having read an earlier thread, there is a suggestion that it is illegal to import the heaters.  The heaters conform to EEC Regs, as all new elctical equipment does so this sounds strange, unless it is some form of protectionism, which I find equally hard to believe.  Can anyone confirm this.  That aside, it would make sense to purchase them in France then I do not have the trouble of carting heavy heaters all that way.  I have tried the usual national outlets but to no avail.  Can anyone point us in the right direction please? We are wanting the traditional night storage heaters with 'bricks', not the oil filled ones.

Terry

Llantony,

Thanks for this.  I believe bricks are better because they will retain the heat much longer  Can I ask if you are happy with the electricity charges for using the heaters?  Have you bought storage heaters in France and if so, where did you get them. I have tried the usual stores but without success.

Terry 

I think one of the problems with night storage heaters in France is that the difference between day and night time rates in UK (white meter) is greater than that in France (heures creuses), so the benefits (?) of storage heaters are a lot less, particularly if you use "boost". Any comments anybody ?

If you want the best of all possible systems, have a look at http://www.akvaterm.fi/?tocID=3

These systems can store heat throughout a month if you want in a grand body of water and provide heat to radiators, underfloor heating or an instant Domestic hot water coil.

I've just put one into my place 2400lt and its incredible, If you want further details, then send me a PM

Andrew

[quote user="La Guerriere"]I think one of the problems with night storage heaters in France is that the difference between day and night time rates in UK (white meter) is greater than that in France (heures creuses), so the benefits (?) of storage heaters are a lot less, particularly if you use "boost". Any comments anybody ?[/quote]

We put in a couple of French brick-filled night storage heaters in our gite a long time ago.  We had used them in Scotland and were very happy with them.

Unfortunately we found the ones here nowhere near as efficient - we were advised on the size for volume to be heated, but they produce nothing more than background heat which isn't enough when it's cold.  We can't change them for bigger ones as the wiring isn't powerful enough.  They also cost a fortune to run.  As a result, we stopped using them.

We do, however, heat 2 or 3 water tanks on Heures Creuses and we know that this alone makes it worth our being on the HC system.  We also run things like washing machine, dishwasher etc at night or between midday and 13h30.  I even try to do the ironing at lunch time !

But I would not recommend night storage heaters in France - particularly in an old house !

[quote user="La Guerriere"]I think one of the problems with night storage heaters in France is that the difference between day and night time rates in UK (white meter) is greater than that in France (heures creuses), so the benefits (?) of storage heaters are a lot less, particularly if you use "boost". Any comments anybody ?[/quote]

Heures creuses electricity is 40% less than daytime units, comparing my UK to France bills I think that French electricity is also 40% cheaper overall but I dont use off-peak in the UK.

I live in a small apartment converted from outbuildings of the main house, 37m2 parpaing with 20mm polystyrene outside and 45mm rockwool inside, tole bac acier roof with 100mm of rockwool insulation (200mm in some pieces), carrelage over terre battu etc so not a particularly well insulated dwelling.

I use storage heaters bought from BDC in the UK totalling 5.5kw on a 6kw supply and it is very ecomomic and more than adequate except in the coldest of weather where I top up with a reversible clime.

If I needed a 9kw supply the extra standing charge would make a significant difference to the running costs and I think that I probably would go for more reversible aircon units to supply the heat on demand, in fact I have to delay the start time of my washing machine to coincide with when the heaters are fully charged to avoid tripping.

So I would say storage heaters are a good solution for smaller well insulated homes, mine are very controllable with output and ambient temp related input controls, but you must factor in the increased abonnement costs.

The ones sold in France are prohibitively expensive and the fluid filled ones (inertie or caloporteur) just aint storage heaters i.e. they dont dissipate heat during 16 hours after an 8 hour charge, 16 minutes maybe[:)]

I hope that this helps you.

Thank you for this.  I will be bringing mine from the UK or have them delievered, if the delievery charges are not too extortionate.

Glad to hear that the cost of running them is not too prohibitive.

Thanks to all those who reponded with their advice. It has been very useful.

Terry

Sorry, missed the question.  As I said, ours are old UK ones (from a friend who bought a house and didn't want to keep them).  Can't say about cost really as until now we've not been living in France full time.

The French electrician was quoting 425.50 euros + 5.5 tax for the new liquid ones.  He says you can renew the liquid and the heats are not as heavy.  But we'd not think of renewing bricks.