Removing Asbestos

Our Brit, neighbour is having a registered English builder remove asbestos corrugated asbestos cement sheets from under his tiles and replacing them with plastic look-a-likes! The detecherie will accept the old sheets for disposal. He is wondering if permission should be obtained from the Marie before commenccing work.

The roof is in very good condition, but he has already lost one definite sale owing to a buyer backing off after reading the inspection report. I understand that there are hundreds of thousands of house in France with similar roofing and French prospective buyers are not at all worried by it!

But the question is; should there be permission sought from the Marie?

Further to my original posting, my neighbour has run into a snag.The local detecherie will only accept 10 sheets at one time in one month, due to their quota!

There are at least 84 sheets to dispose of and he cannot give the roofer to go ahead removing them until they can find a disposal site. I doubt if anyone reading this can make any helpful suggestions, but you never know. Another solution would be to hire a skip for about €500, but has yet to find if the skippers might also have the same problem!

The sheets are in excellent condition and no doubt there is many a farmer or two who would like to re-roof their barn with free roofing material; but how to find them is the question.

Philouis, if the builder stacks them neatly and takes care to remove any broken off bits, they probably won't be the huge health hazard you imagine and can be left (outside, somewhere they won't be knocked) and your neighbour can dispose of ten sheets each month until they are gone.  The wisdom I have gleaned from here, and elsewhere when I was back in the UK and had to remove several of these from our old stable roof, is that the risk is much less than the scare-mongerers would have you believe.  If he stacks them within view of the road, chances are a passing farmer will enquire about them anyway - that certainly seems to happen around here when I put anything "interesting" out with the rubbish!!  Failing that, just suggest to your neighbour that he calls on a local farmer to let him know they're available - they seem to have a pretty good grapevine and if they're of interest, you'll soon know.

What I am going to say is not a recommendation but is what happened down here not long ago.

Outside the dechetterie overnight 60 panels of asbestos were simply left, carefully stacked. The decheterrie was of course obliged to take them.

I find this cavalier behaviour entirely shocking. But mildly better than just dumping.