Creosote

James2

[quote user="sheldonrobbo"][quote user="James2"]

[/quote]

Why use creosote ...its not anywhere near as good as most modern wood preservers and needs re-applying a lot more regularly

sheldon

[/quote]

You are surely kidding?

Not to mention bringing price into the equation.

About two years ago farmers and smallholders in the UK were still able to get hold of "proper creosote", I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Hi,

So what is the alternative to Creosote in France?

Looking for a product that is not expensive, easy to apply, no sophisticated colourings and can be used purely as a means of wood protection against the weather and rot?

Can be used for example wood panel fencing!

we bring creosote from england cos i don't think they have it in france. once when we ran out we used old engine oil mixed with thinners/turps .looks ok, especially after 1/2 a year of sun beating down on it. cost= virtually nothing + saves you going to the tip with your old oil.

[quote user="mike151"]we bring creosote from england cos i don't think they have it in france.[/quote]

Creosote is still available in the UK but, legally should only be supplied through the trade for trade use by fencing contractors and the like. The stuff you see in B&Q is 'Creosote Light', not half as good as the real McCoy but a lot cheaper than some proprietory makes.

[quote user="mike151"]once when we ran out we used old engine oil mixed with thinners/turps .looks ok, especially after 1/2 a year of sun beating down on it. cost= virtually nothing + saves you going to the tip with your old oil.[/quote]

And I hope you are aware that the old engine oil you use is probably just as carcinogenic as using creosote.[:@]