Click together wood flooring.

woolybanana

I am laying click together oak planks in an L shaped living area. Each plank has male and female ends and sides. Obviously, one offsets the planks as one goes and the bits cut off get reused the other end, so there is little waste.  

BUT,

I had hoped to lay the planks lengthways in both parts of the L, with an offset as the join in the 'middle' of the L. However, given that one cannot cut the end joining the L or the click will be lost, how the hell do I get the central joint. It seems inevitable that there will be a male to male or female to female joint there which does not click together.

Any ideas, apart from laying the planks across the second part of the L rather than lengthways.

SVP

Herring bone would be the coolest way to go, but not for anyone who does not have the skills.

The long run should be done with the tongue exposed to the other part of the 'L'

A router with a straight cutter the diameter of the groove is needed to cut a groove in the ends that will join up.

Check exactly where the groove is on the planks as they are not always central. Get this wrong and the floor will not be level.

Hope that makes sense.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I am laying click together oak planks in an L shaped living area. Each plank has male and female ends and sides. Obviously, one offsets the planks as one goes and the bits cut off get reused the other end, so there is little waste.  

BUT,

I had hoped to lay the planks lengthways in both parts of the L, with an offset as the join in the 'middle' of the L. However, given that one cannot cut the end joining the L or the click will be lost, how the hell do I get the central joint. It seems inevitable that there will be a male to male or female to female joint there which does not click together.

Any ideas, apart from laying the planks across the second part of the L rather than lengthways.

SVP

[/quote]

My suggestion Wooly is that you divide the two areas by a v.narrow strip of matching oak, say 25mm x thickness of clic panels (about 8mm as I recall) then treat each area as a separate 'room' laying the clic panels between the edging strip and the opposite wall(s). This, I believe, will be easy to achieve and IMHO give a better aesthetic appearance.

The narrow strip will of course need to be fixed to the subfloor as it is simulating a wall.

Hello PD, nice to hear from and for your kindness.

Well, thanks to you guys, I think I have a solution which is to remove part of the female joint. As long as it is supported, then it works. And it is strong. I danced on an experimental piece holding my dog and it did not break.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well, thanks to you guys, I think I have a solution which is to remove part of the female joint. As long as it is supported, then it works. And it is strong. I danced on an experimental piece holding my dog and it did not break.

[/quote]

I wouldn't expect the dog to break[:D]. You do get a lot of expansion in the flooring, so you need to be sure the joint is ok.

[quote user="gosub"][quote user="woolybanana"]

[/quote]

You do get a lot of expansion in the flooring, so you need to be sure the joint is ok.

[/quote]

I know a lot of people say so but I am not totally convinced, it has always struck me as being very dimensionally stable, after an initial bedding in period.