soundproofing.

maude

hoping for some suggestions on the most successfull way to soundproof a 40mm waste pipe which will have to run thro 2 rooms from a sanibroyer.The pipework will have to be consealed behind a false wall in both rooms but the space is limited in depth to try and keep the dimensions to a minimum.No other way to connect the shower room to the fosse at the oposite end of the house.Thanks for any input,Maude

Hi Maude don't worry too much about the soundproofing, your in the Vendee and I am in the Loire, we won't hear it [:D][Www]

Soundproofing is a tricky subject, you need to isolate the pipe mountings so they do not transmit the sound vibrations into any other area.  The false wall can act like a sound box on a guitar so you need to deaden the sound by absorbtion. Rock wool  or even lambs wool can be good.

I will ask my Brother as he has done a lot of research on this topic.

• 4 weeks later...
Plastic pipe is better than metal, but it's probably plastic anyway.  As suggested, flexible mounting, and fill the cavity with Rockwool.  Look for something with high density, 45kg/m3 or above.  Stuff the cavity, but not tight.  You can also add a second layer of gypsum of a different thickness if you want a little better isolation, but using a good thickness for the first is more important.

I just finished doing my recording studio!

I think you're really needing some heavy / dense material to give you best soundproofing.

I'm still in the planning stage for soundproofing my WC waste pipe, but so far my thoughts are to wrap the pipe in carpet underlay (the heavy corrugated / lumpy rubber material with hessian backing) and then fill any remaining space with rockwool insulation before boxing-out. I'm also thinking of gluing the box-out material (MDF probably) to the walls and to itself with bathroom mastic to give a flexible fixing and maybe help avoid sound transmission.

Both of the ideas above are good, sound is both hi frequency and low frequency so both solutions are good. If you can use both then it would be better.

Pros often use two disimilar materials to cover the range, also if you can use silicon to bond the pipe clips rather than using screws it prevents the transfer of sound.

Plastic pipe in munsen rings and fastenened to wall behind peferably so little opportunity for resonance through new false wall. then due to ptential fo damp try tp restrict yourself to materials not susceptible to damp. I would lag the pipe with wound bubble wrap then put glass fibre insulation in the false wall / boxing in. There are noise resistant wallboards I think Standox do one but TBH the noise will likely be heard from the unit rather than the pipework.

Don't waste your time unless you are going to soundproof the sanibroyer

If someone gets up and uses it in the middle of the night, the minute they push the flush button the whole house will awake

It might be comforting for them to listen to the waste products flowing through the waste pipe as it will reassure them the incident is coming to and end and they can relax and go back to sleep

Le Plombier

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for soundproofing materials suppliers in france.

I did some soundproofing on my house in the UK and got the materials from http://soundproofingforum.co.uk/ but heard they import their stuff from europe, so wonder (even with the weak pound) whether it will be cheaper to buy the materials on the continent or from the UK.

I have to get some soundproofing for the floors of my holiday apartment as the neighbours are complaining about heavy footstep noise, anyone have any idea where the best prices for soundproofing are?