Rendering blockwork

Angie

Good evening

We have a small, newly built wall that needs to be rendered - as always we have been let down by our builder and he is putting off coming back to finish the job (fortunately we hadn't paid him for this part of the work).  We need to get this done before we can move on the next step and don't want to hang around for him.  Can someone tell us please how difficult it would be to render this ourselves - it is only 8 metres long by a metre high.  Do we need to apply anything to the bare (grey) blockwork before attempting to render it.  Because we don't live in France and will need to do it on our next trip - can we buy the stuff ready mixed (a lot more expensive no doubt but more convenient) at our local Brico?  We are not looking to achieve a perfectly smooth finish.  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

hi, i have been rendering for a couple of years out in france .if you want a light finish on your wall i.e yellow use light sand ,lime and water mix it with a mixer remembering how many sand and how many lime you put it. then when you think its mixed get a handfull close your hand up tight and if its sticks together like a stone your ok start rendering. i dont wet the walls , but some people do see how you get on steve acorn.build'yahoo.co.uk