shutters - to paint or not to paint

chocccie

I have old oaken shutters which are currently stained.  Thinking about painting them to add a splash of (muted) colour.  But I'm imagining that they will flake in time and will be a lot more time and work to sand down and repaint, rather than just slap on some more stain when the time comes.

Any advice/experience please?

My shutters, Wooly aka Tim, are a distinguished Oxford Blue.

The blue that you are referring to, Jondeau, is the insipid Cambridge Blue.

A world of difference....

Choccie - I would continue to stain them.  Painted shutters do flake and quite quickly, especially on the east and south elevations because of exposure to the sun.  You can get coloured stains.

Choccie

You probably know this already but be aware that in many parts of France there are restrictions concerning the colours you are allowed to paint your shutters. This can be very strict if your house is close to a listed church or monument.

To overcome the painting process I know some people who have resorted to plastic shutters...............yuk, not my cup of tea!

Our wooden shutters were originally varnished but showing signs of wear and some rot too. SWMBO really wanted painted shutters but I wasn't too keen knowing that fettling up varnished ones in good order would simply mean a light sanding and a coat of varnish before the lunchtime drink about once every five years maybe.

We compromised by starting only on a west facing wooden door which I filled, primed, undercoated and applied two coats of gloss Dulux paint. It cracked within weeks, or more accurately the existing cracks re-opened. I filled them, undercoated and again applied two coats of gloss. A few months later I did the same again. I've now given up, accept the appearance and know I need to tart it up once a year.

Since the above experience I have sanded down, filled and repaired more shutters than I want to remember. I then gave them two coats of branded french varnish / lasure / whatever, which supposedly gave an 8 year guarantee. It was a long job. The varnish was treacle thick and 3 years on, after a rain fall to clean-off the dust, they look as good as the day I did them.

I will never paint another bit of external joinery in France again - life's too short..