Electric sockets in bathrooms

Giscard

They are allowed but must be in zone 3, get a book to see the exact definition of this but broadly speaking more than 60cm from a bath or shower tray.

The sink does not count so you can have a socket above the mirror if it respects the seperation from the bath or shower tray.

All such sockets must be protected by a 30ma disjoncteur differential.

I hope this answers your question.

One would assume that regulations are devised to provide guidance primarily for safety reasons. For EY to infer that they should be ignored and  not complied with as "someone elses problem'! is surely irresponsible and trite in reply to a serious post.

Presumably he still uses a cut throat razor and no longer has hair to blow!!!!

Of course regulations are for guidance and safety (well mostly !) and should (generally) be complied with. My tongue in cheek comment was not meant as recommendation of anything but to make what I think is a valid observation which is that I don't think it too much of an exaggeration to say that in their doings most amateur/DIY restorers have broken some if not a great many rules, either through ignorance or as deliberate acts which for the duration of their tenancy may cause absolutely no problems but may come back to bite when it comes time to sell.

Regarding the specific topic of sockets in bathrooms, there is no universal standard and the French standards and regulations are just that, theirs. In UK for instance, apart from shaver sockets I believe no other power outlet is permitted so under that comparison some could see the very fact that the French allow sockets at all as inherently unsafe. For my own part, regulatory compliance or not, the idea does not sit well with me and unless I had a compelling reason for needing one then I simply would not do it.

Electricity is dangerous stuff which you should not be messing with unless you A: know the regulations or B: are competent enough to do it outwith the regulations yet still safely

A hoary cliche I admit but the old saying that  'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools' is, nevertheless, true.

[quote user="ausibattler"]Presumably he still uses a cut throat razor and no longer has hair to blow!!!![/quote]'fraid you've lost me there [blink]

I'm no expert on electricity, but surely the regulations are designed to ensure safety for users and should be complied with in all circumstances.

I have two sockets in my bathroom, properly installed by a registered French electrician and compliant with the regualtions.  No doubt, fifty million other French householders have the same arrangement, so why do some Brits seem to want to do things differently....[8-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I have two sockets in my bathroom, properly installed by a registered French electrician and compliant with the regualtions.  No doubt, fifty million other French householders have the same arrangement, [/quote]

I very much doubt that.

Oh well, only another 49 million something to go [:)], what I meant was I doubted that the 50 million were installed compliant to the regulations by registered French Electricians, there just arent enough of them and they are mostly concerned with building up a fat portfolio of booked work rather than acually doing any of it [;-)]