Ceiling spotlights mains or low voltage?

Chancer

I have never actually fitted them before as I find them a bit naff although they would help my failing eyesight, however I am currently cabling up the first two of my rental apartments being loft studios and spots are what the market demands, so the market tells me; something about wow factor, branché or some other such rubbish.

Anyway there does not seem to be a great difference in price between mains and low voltage so what other considerations are there?

At least one of the circuits needs to be dimmable, there may be a potential problem with heat dissipation, what has been your experience and what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

I have had both over the years. Recent fits have been mains voltage but fitments capable of taking low energy bulbs. Low energy is also low heat.

The low voltage require transformers which eventually 'go' and the replacement is often awkward.

I have always found the light output of the mains ones disapointing compared to the low voltage ones. Cheap transformers are a pain, better soft start ones make everything last longer.

The new LED's are pretty good but higher initial cost. I have some info on a company near Southampton I think, they were particularly impressive.

I have no idea about these things. However, I have just had installed 50 spots in our gite and they are mains. The advice I was given is that transformers eventually break down, and can also be dangerous if loaded incorrectly. If the wattage for replacement 12v lights fitted is greater than those orginally fitted, then you can get an overload on the transformer.

I fitted three of these in a ceiling covered in lambri, mains powered. I must say I found the heat output of these a bit disturbing and elected to change the bulbs to long life low wattage types and made sure there was no inflammable insulation touching them. They were recessed into the boarding and were in a corridor where high light levels were not needed. When I did up the dressing room I fitted a unit where three spots hang from moveable stalks and have plenty of air around them to dissipate heat. Still gives one or two areas when the illumination is a bit low. Thinking about an additional wall mounted unit to give more even additional lighting when needed. I don't think I would use low voltage on a transformer if I could help it....................................................................................JR

One option would be to buy a transformer with a higher output than required so it doesn't have to work as hard.

Maplins sell all sorts that would do the job.

I also got some Chrome spots from B & Q recently that are not recessed, they simply fix to the ceiling or under wall cupboards. Easy!