Removing lino tiles

bixy

I need to remove lino tiles that have been stuck down on tommettes [Why?!]. I would appreciate some advice on how to do this. Is there are a special piece of kit or tool for doing this, for example? Other people's experience would be helpful.

Patrick

Depending on the glue a hot air gun should soften the glue and make it a lot easier to remove them, but then you have the residual glue to get rid of. There are other threads that have covered that.

As far as why? I suppose as fashions change people do silly things. Pointy shoes come to mind there!

We did our top floor which didn't have lino tiles stuck on them but did have carpet backing welded to them the also had a nasty coloured wax type thing on them.

Lots of steam is the answer but its a vile job!!! but my friend ended up doing loads of it which helped :-) we found a floor steam cleaner didn't generate enough steam so ended up using a steam wall paper stripper leaving it in one place till it starts bubbling and softening the glue and wax then cleaning that off with wire pan scrubbers. Bon Chance!! don't be tempted to paint over them with the so called tommette paint as its just not as nice as the cleaned up version.

Some feedback. I tried the hot air gun method and that worked ok, though still very slow. I also tried using a hot iron over a wet cloth. That also worked but was no better than the hot air gun. I've been advised that an SDS drill in non rotating mode with a wide chisel would work. Slightly worried about damaging the tomettes.

Patrick