Raised Decking

Lizfjr

Hi

Our property has a very narrow, raised(about 1m), walkway around half the house. I would like to create

more sitting out space and am considering a raised decking area. I would like it to be about 2.5m X 5m

and would be 1m high. I was considering concreting the supporting legs into the ground but have noticed

you can buy galvanised 'ground spikes' that are about 75cm long and the legs could be fixed to the top

of these once the spikes are driven into the ground.

Does anyone know if these spikes are upto this sort of job?.

If so how many supports would I need (frequency) to make the deck stable.

By the way we have clay soil.

Many thanks

The spikes are the opposite of what you need. They are fine for providing lateral stability to a fence but you will get that from the supporting frame work for the decking. The decking manufacturers will have recomendations on distance between joists and supports depending on thickness and quality of decking.

You need the galvanised metal supports which are absolutely fine if utilised in the way they were designed i.e. sinking the spike section into a lump of concrete.  They are designd to enable your upright's to not be in contact with the ground therefore no termites will ever attack them.