VMC

ragondin

Hi,   this subject is of interest to me because:-

After installing a VMC (apart from the electrics) I now understand that to meet regulations I need a 2A disjoncteur. The electrics in our cottage have a fuse type box so I can not comply with the Regs. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an independant disjoncteur or breaker or a way round the problem  ?

[quote user="pip24"]

Hi,   this subject is of interest to me because:-

After installing a VMC (apart from the electrics) I now understand that to meet regulations I need a 2A disjoncteur. The electrics in our cottage have a fuse type box so I can not comply with the Regs. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an independant disjoncteur or breaker or a way round the problem  ?

[/quote]

What problem? Are you concerned about an electrical danger? In which case you need to explain how the VMC is wired, is it to an existing circuit and of what fuse rating etc?

If your perceived problem is that your house has an electrical system more than one day old and hence will not comply with any new regs introduced then you will probably have a lot more than the VMC to worry about.

Hi,  Thanks for the response to my problem Anton. I have not heard of a Tableaux nus before so I will have to look it up but hope that it is the answer to my problem.

Hi Chancer. Correct, my wiring is more than 1 day old and some of it would not comply with todays Regs !   You say that I need to explain how the VMC is wired. I have stated that the VMC is installed (apart from the electrics) meaning that the VMC is not connected electricaly. The problem is that Regs do not allow it to be connected to a fused circuit. Like many French houses, ours has fuses. So other than having to install a new main unit I am looking for a way to meet the Vmc Regs.

If you don't have a tableau (fusebox, or whatever, that will take DIN-mount disjoncteurs), then as Anton (?) has suggested, you could, as a minimum install a basic one for not much money.

However, if you have non-fuseboard-mounted fuses, I'd be more worried about rewiring the place than connecting the VMC!

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks for the reply Nick,     Our fuse box looks like it has trips, but they are cartridge type fuses that come out when you pull the lug down. May be the best bet is to wire a 2 block Tableaux nus in next to the fuse box and feeding the Vmc from there.

I am begining to wish that I hadn't put the Vmc in now because I understand that to get benefit from them they have to be on  24/7,  I have been told that the insurance may be void if I leave the power on  when we are not there, because conditions state that water and power should be turned off when the property is unoccupied ! So I will have to check that out as well or find an insurance company that will cover the situation.