What is the paint called

mattjazz

So you are not talking about painting the door despite your photo but the bricks around it and the mortar joints à la Pakistani?

I can tell you how I got a close match to my red bricks but would never paint the joints white, - too ex-council house dontcha know [6]

I used a cheap white pliolite paint and mixed in either mortar colorant or brick dust from my diamond saw when I had some.

With the colorant you have to leave it about a week for the colour to impregnate, when you paint it on it looks a sickly pink gloss colour but if wiped over with a rag or applied thinly with a roller the pigment spreads and gives a matt brick finish.

Editted. Sorry if I have offended any Pakistani's but it was always them that painted their facades like that, I have to admire their determination to paint eery single mortar joint.

My house in France had been done in this way many years ago but it had pretty much faded to nothing, I think that they trowelled coloured mortar over the whole facade (all the bricks were reclaimed after the WW1 bombardment) then poinetd in false joints with a 6mm radius trowel than finally painetd them white.

Their are many brands of microporous paints.Ensure you remove by sanding all the old powdery paint and aplly 2-3 coats and it will last for years.You can purchase as a coloured Finish or translucent stain.

Lasure is one of the brands I have used in France ON MY FENCE POSTS AND POOL SHED and  AFTER about 5 years approaches the excellent quality of the Norwegian  coloured wood paint -Demideckk and the translucent stain called Oxan.

These are made by Jotun paints in uk and norway and I was technical manager before I retired [:D]8 years ago.

These type of paints are a blend of acrlic as used in emulsion paints and alkyds resins as used in solvent based gloss paints which were the typical products used in the U.K. FOR MANY YEARS .The blend is watersoluble but does not wash off when used  on outside woodwork and has outperformed the best exterior gloss paints available.

Well you did have an Ipswich logo on your nom-de plume-so that explains why you led us all up the garden path!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO you want to paint the bricks !!!!!!!!!!!definitely not the same as the wood paint!

And I SUPPOSE YOU WANT A "MATT" FINISH.

IT DEPENDS WHAT PAINT HAS BEEN APPLIED UNLESS YOU WIREBRUSH IT ALL OFF TO PREVENT THE CHANCE OF NEW PAINT NOT STICKING TO OLD SUFACE PROPERLY.

Your local paint shopshould be able to advise-the slightly alkaline nature of bricke can have an adverse efffect on oil paints.

I would use emulsion exterior quality or the pliolite type paints(SOLVENT BASED) BOTH  HAVE GOOD DURABILITY ON SUCH SURFACES AS WELL AS CONCRETE.